1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Dying Light

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by notmeagain, 16 Aug 2013.

1. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Looks like Mirrors Edge and Dead Island had a baby out of wedlock.

What do you chaps think?

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Looks good. In fact I have it on my Steam wish list.

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Really surprised this was the only thread I could find on this game!

My friend bought me a copy so we could co-op it on his Twitch stream (the game lags out too hard on my crappy upload speed for me to be able to stream it too).

I'm enjoying it so far, I actually had plenty of fun playing Dead Island co-op with the same person and a couple of our other friends, so this is like natural progression.

The one thing that's an issue though, and the main reason I'm glad I got it on PC, is the motion sickness. Oh my word the motion sickness! Only HL2 ever gave me motion sickness before. I'm not prone to it, don't get it in real life, nothing like that. Googling shows this game is super bad for it though. People who have never experienced it before are throwing up and getting headaches from this game :(

I've messed around with all the settings, moved the FoV slider all over the place to no real avail. Luckily the worst part seemed to be the Tutorial. Since that the only bits that have set me off now have been when you climb somewhere and the camera starts swaying about all over the shop!

I've seen there are some mods that remove the chromatic aberration and such which would probably help, but I've also seen since a recent patch you can only play offline if you have mods. I hope they put in options to fix the sway/CA in the menu like they did the removal of film grain.

Gameplay-wise though we're having a blast. What's not to love about drop-kicking zombies :D

4. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

er... what about the review thread...

5. Hex

Yeah, but that's not in the Gaming forum though. I'm not commenting on their review :p

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just bought this.

7. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I'm really suprised I created this thread a year and a half ago.
    Where does the time go?

Anyway - This game... it's great. review over, enjoy.

On a seperate note, I had hell getting this to work on my SLI770's, it actually was a great proponent in getting me to drunkenly purchase a gtx980 as I just had enough of the troubles with AAA titles and SLI.

Had a great blast streaming this COOP a couple weeks ago and looking forward to our next stream, completed about 20% of the game so far and have loved every second of it.

My original comment "Looks like Mirrors Edge and Dead Island had a baby out of wedlock." couldn't have been more accurate, it's a masterpiece of intuitive control and gritty combat.

I really, really want to get this working with a razer hydra (i need a hydra) and the oculus (Sim sickness :()

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

To much like Dead Island for me. But OK all the same.

9. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

You say that as if it's a negative? You must be very poorly. ;)

Personally I feel the combat element from Dead Island is well placed, but the crafting and loot mechanics always made it feel a bit crumby, that's the only negatives so far.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

But is there nit a new Dead Island due this year?
    I have searched everywhere and have not found a decent weapon even with an upgrade though I did manage to break into a police van and get a gun. Don't know whether to give it away as a quest item or keep it.

11. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Give it away, there's guns in police vans on the overpass, have a shotty :D

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

"Have a shotty?"

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Found the blue prints for the Korek Machete which you can make very easily with common stuff you find. I also have Excalibur and excellent sword.

14. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Expcaliber is a damn fun weapon to play with.
    I managed to get the shotgun on a later mission, just minces the walkers so much fun.

I find myself still terified of night, even though I've found an exploit to the volatiles.
    Get on top of a vehicle with flares and electric+ weapons, and wait for a volatile to spot you, pop a few flares around as he's approaching and then go to town with your electrics.

He'll take a beating but die in about 30-40s.
    The electricity stun locks them and just allows you to pummel them to death, while the flares stop you getting ganked.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have a couple of rifles but not much ammo, had a pistol but gave it away. Only had a shotgun for one of the challenges but overall after about fifteen hours the weapons are crap and upgrades seem limited.

As for the night I play the stealth game easy to avoid the volatile's and the other zombies I tend to run and jump past them.

Bloody short days though in this game and the long distance travelling can be a bit tedious at times.

It is still a Dead Island clone though. But so far OK and as I have nothing much else to play right now a great time waster.

16. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I find it stale solo play, but as co-op it's a blaze

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

18. Hex

The loot definitely seems to scale up with you, we're at about 38% of the game now,
    things just got all Assassin's Creed on us
    . I'm rank 18 or 19 and my friend is 20/1 (he kills more zombies at night, I tend to be the distraction). Guns are now pretty much useless unless used on humans, seems to be that purple/orange upgrades on blue weapons are better than purple/orange weapons with blue upgrades too. 'Inventory full' still the bane of my life as we keep finding magical loot palaces.

Still having fun with this, at the moment it's like it's never-ending but a friend told me he felt the same way until the ending just snuck up on him.

I haven't bothered looking this up yet, but if anyone can explain what a 'Dark Zone' is and why the one in the tunnel is the most brightly lit tunnel in the entire universe, that'd be grand! Also is there any point at all in purple/orange guns when they all appear to have the exact same stats as the blue ones!

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

just bought this on steam, starting to download eta 4 hours or so.

Any know if this supports NVidia surround video?

Look forward to giving this a go once back from work this evening :thumb:

20. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Yes, Dying Light supports the nVidia Surround natively. :)