1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft removes From Dust PC DRM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Sep 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Saw this yesterday, my steam client spent the whole day downloading 75MB patches :-/ settled down in the end though. glad it's gone tbh. It's bad enough having to juggle games across my desktop and laptop on steam without having to worry about anything else.

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

"The DRM required, among other things, that users always remain online to play the singleplayer game."

That's not quite true. It performed an online check when booting into the game, but once playing you could be disconnected without any issues. Unlike the DRM Ubisoft has previously used, an always on connection to their servers was not required.

4. Gigglebyte

Gigglebyte :3

Well as far as I can gather that still means that you require an internet connection to boot the game.

5. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Overall this is good news.
    I don't play From Dust, so it doesn't affect me directly, but when Steam starts offering refunds, and Ubisoft start removing DRM, it all points to the fact that game devs appear to be listening to the PC market more than ever. And that can only be a good thing

6. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

Sadly the damage is already done.

7. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I will consider purchase when on sale, won't be paying full price considering this DRM was not to be there then was there and now has been removed, I will not give Ubi a full price sale after their antics.

Does the PC version have the same flaws as the xbox version?

8. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Makes sense. The DRM is probably only designed to prevent day 0 piracy they know that it will be cracked eventually so why persevere with it. Probably saves money as activation servers can come offline too.

9. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Too little, too late. They outright lied to their customers and refused to admit that they were in the wrong about it in any way. They couldn't redeem this if they came to my house and offered chocolate-covered hookers.

Zinfandel likes this.
  10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

In the unlikely event that they try (in the manner suggested above - and assuming they're female), please don't hesitate to send them my way ;)

11. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

And if you're not in slip them my address as an alternative. :p

12. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

A completely empty gesture.

Ubisoft got what they wanted, DRM for the initial launch of the game, From Dust is now old news.

They should just stop releasing PC ports if they're going to treat their customers with such contempt. I can't stand the entitlement issues that come with calling for boycotts/petitions, but for me personally, I just can't buy Ubisoft games after the deplorable Splinter Cell Conviction launch.

13. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

Sorry Ubisoft - it's too late

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

This, everyone who wanted a DRM free From Dust got one before this patch if you catch my drift

15. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Yeah, too late. There aren't many companies I take a righteous stand against, but Ubisoft, dear lord. Ubi and Sony will never see one thin dime from me again.

Honestly, it was already too late either way - it was all the BS they'd pulled before I'd even heard of From Dust that broke it for me.

Not sure what it would take to reverse that course, but it sure as hell isn't this.

16. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

What's with the whining, people? The game was only released three weeks ago and the DRM is gone. Quit complaining, already.

17. stouffer

stouffer What's a Dremel?

It's about time Ubisoft did something about their DRM, don't think it'll cause any long-term damage to their brand in the big scheme of things but it certainly has cost them a few sales from me

18. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Because unless people complain, and complain loudly, then the publisher will assume that it's ok and call it a success. Pretty soon all games will have the same DRM and PC gaming will actually die.

Another way to look at it is that the DRM was patched out of the game in only three weeks BECAUSE people were whining about it. Thus, mission accomplished, however Ubisoft still need to realise that this will happen if and when they try this s**t with their paying customers ever again.

nemo likes this.
  19. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Because Ubisoft outright said that the game would ship without DRM and even made a big point of it. Then it was released and lo and behold, early customers who bought the game specifically due to its no-DRM claims got hit with DRM, not to mention one of the sloppiest, worst-controlling, least-optimised ports seen from a major publisher in a while. This isn't a case of customers whining, it is literally about being lied to about the product.

20. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Not getting a penny of my money. Liars and the DRM method is overkill.

Tags: Add Tags