1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Need some modding advice

Discussion in 'Modding' started by atc95, 3 Dec 2012.

1. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Hi guys wondering if you can help,

I plan on modding my xbox 360 elite (currently redundant) into a pc and am struggling with the hardware configurations on it. The intention is to use it as a hybrid between laptop and desktop with the potential for some light gaming eg borderlands 2. I have no experience of modding to date but only need to cut a few blowholes and drill holes for the motherboard standoffs. I have narrowed it down to 2 different hardware specs, which do you think is best?

silverstone 450w sfx psu (modular)
    intel core i3 3220 or amd a10 5800k
    afox radeon hd 7850 lp or integrated
    gigabyte z77n wifi or msi fm2 a75ia
    240gb ssd (mounted in the current elite drive bay)
    2x4gb ddr3

the intel and discrete combo costs around 750 and the trinity combo is only 450 but what is best and also what would you use for cooling.

I have found out that a corsair h60 with a 20mm depth fan will fit or an air cooler up to 65mm preferably with no backplate. I also intend on making a 80 or 92mm blowhole and use 2x60mm fans as exhausts where they currently are on the xbox.

Thanks for the help
    atc95

2. atc95

Ok thanks, I definitely think that the watercooling will work as the airflow isn't good enough in an xbox to get a cooler that can cool either cpu at full load.

The maximum enclosed loop i can get is a 120mm radiator, unless anyone knows of a 140mm enclosed loop, would i get better cooling performance from push pull with 2x 120x120x10mm fans or one 120x120x25mm stock fan on the cooler.

Also If that card doesn't fit despite being low profile I am almost certainly going with the trinity rig as there is not enough space to fit a radiator, psu and gpu all on the same plane.

Also using the xbox power button pcb is a great idea :) although i have only done very basic soldering in the past so will have to do a bit of research.

3. jay2

jay2 Indonesian Modder

I had a small discussion with nVidia country rep, a well known PC magazine brand and a hardcore PC gamer last month. We're discussing about a rather heavy topic: The future of game engine. (not actually discussing, it's more like nVidia told us about game engine developments, and the audience asks)

One topic that come up in mind is about SSD performance in gaming. They (nVidia rep, PC magz rep, and a known Gamer) agree that SSD not worth to buy if we want to build a mid class PC gaming. A high performance HDD (WESTERN DIGITAL SCORPIO BLACK 750GB - 7200 RPM) is enough. The differences are only a few seconds different in game loads and a hardly recognizable popping in game play.

Patient for only a few seconds and you get a better eye pleasure :naughty:

Just my 2c :D

If you want a hybrid between desktop and laptop, just make the desktop a lot more powerful than laptop, otherwise you desktop will (maybe) redundant. So, AMD APU is out of options.

If you put aside your SSD plan, you might able to buy a 660Ti or 7950 or even an 670. a PCIE flexible riser maybe required (just as what Lostconfession said) so you can put your graphic card on horizontal position like motherboard. An i3 is enough, but i5 is better, i7 is out of options for gamer:nono:

a z77 is good but if you pick a B75 chipset you can have spare budget to spend on other items. A wifi usb dongle is wiser choice so you can use internet on all your devices. I'm still searching itx mobo with mSata support, it would be awesome if you use that.
    Gigabyte wifi antennae looks ugly, try Z77E-ITX on Asrock http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/Box/Z77E-ITX(m).jpg

Aaaah~ cooling... on i3 try THERMALTAKE SLIM X3 But if you insist on water cooling, yes H60 is the best price/performance.

just another 2cents

Last edited: 6 Dec 2012
  4. atc95

I have no intention of installing a disc drive, there is no room and I can install win7 or win8 from a usb. I have room for a single 2.5inch drive and can use the conventional power and data cables to wire it up. There is enough space to fit them through the current gap in the elite hdd slot.

So I still want quick boot times, could I save money by using a msata drive for the os and then a Scorpio black or a hybrid like the Seagate momentus.

Where the disk drive currently is on the 360 is where i plan on fitting the radiator for the cpu, at this stage an h60 with either 1 stock fan or a push pull with 2 low profile fans.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2012
  5. jay2

jay2 Indonesian Modder

i cant imagine xbox case, since i never have seen one yet. (fully opened case of xbox 360)

i wonder if we can put msata on sata socket.. i've read review about Seagate momentus somewhere, and its not a good idea, still slower than average ssd and lower space than average hdd, but lot more expensive.

6. atc95

as it stands I have found a 60gb ocz msata II ssd and a 500gb scorpio black hdd both for £110 so I will be saving over my original plan a little bit.

The next issue is the mounting position of the radiator as I will have very little clearance in a 120x120 space due to ram and the water block on the cpu, also if it helps I can get a photo of the internal xbox case.

My current plan is to use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002A97IIQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    which will attach to the h60 or thermaltake 2.0 performer (both 27mm in depth). This brings the height to 39mm so will give me 26mm at a maximum for the waterblock which i think is tight as the antec 620 waterblock is 27mm in height. I have emailed corsiar to ask about the height but I presume they are very similar in size.

Does anyone know the height of the waterblock or have any solutions for mounting?

Last edited: 7 Dec 2012
  7. atc95

Photos in progress but the basic dimensions are

length 275mm taken up by: 85mm psu, 170mm mobo, space for pcie riser
    width 215mm taken up by: 170mm mobo, 25mm xbox current fans
    height 64mm taken up by cooling and psu

currently the parts i am thinking of getting are:

in the 4.5cm between motherboard and the edge i plan on putting either the current 2x60mm xbox fans or the custom ones that lostconfession mentioned earlier.

the psu is 175mm in length so in that 4cm i was thinking of mounting the msata as there is a 1cm clearance before the cables come out of the psu.

8. atc95

I have taken some pictures of the hdd bay, inner casing and fans, if any other pictures would be useful let me know :)

http://atc95.imgur.com/all/

9. atc95

In which case I don't think there is enough room :(. However, I have been asking on another post about the possibility of 2 xbox cases with one dedicated to watercooling components and a "quick disconnect" pipe running between the two. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=252585. I think this would probably be the best option and it would allow a full height gpu like a 660ti or 670

10. atc95

The likelihood is I will be using the 256gb ssd (sandisk extreme) from my laptop to save on costs for this as I am getting a new laptop or tablet for university. But the jump to ssd from hdd is quite considerable anyway, my only concern is that the sandisk is asynchronous but it was bought as a temporary speed boost for my laptop.

11. atc95

I am not too bothered about the LEDs to be honest, if it is simple to wire and solder then I can add them but I have no idea how to. :(

How would I get just the power button to act as the power button with one of the single pin wires to the motherboard?

12. atc95

tap point? I have no idea what it is, your talking to a noob here lol.

Do you know of anywhere that would stock those wires (in the UK)?

13. atc95

14. atc95

just need to find a power led one now, I will be using an ssd so the hdd led isn't as crucial (if it doesn't boot then there is obviously something wrong)

15. atc95

Would this soldering iron be up to the task?

16. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Looks reasonable. I'd get a proper soldering station if you're planning to continue with electronics , etc. Something like an Atten 938D is a low cost entry level station.

17. atc95

I considered getting a proper station but I am going to uni this year (hopefully) to do electronic engineering so there will be proper soldering equipment there i'm sure.

18. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

There are proper stations at my uni as well. Nothing beats the freedom being able to do it in your own room though. :thumb:

19. atc95

Just saw the York by your avatar, that is my firm choice :D and I suppose so but I am a cheapskate!

20. atc95

Ok, I will be ordering the final parts for the build and the soldering iron sometime next week so when it all arrives I can start :). Is the solder station that tangster posted the best for a beginner then?