1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Recommend me a cheap DAC ( sorted ).

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuicideNeil, 13 Feb 2013.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

For the first time in a while I wanted to use my headphones ( Sony MDR-XD200; amazing I know ) so plugged them into my lovely new PC ( why u no comment on build log? ) only to be met with awful electrical inference noises being picked up continuously ( opening & closing programs & using the mouse scroll wheel made it worse ).

Since I'm not an audiophile I'm not after an amazing DAC / headphone amp combo or anything like that which does wonders for the sound quality, I just need/want a cheap ( <£40 ) usb or optical DAC which is guaranteed to eliminate the nasty interference and deliver a clean output signal ( preferably from a retailer that takes paypal as I have money in there to spend, vs coming from my bank account ).

Any suggestions are more than welcome, thanks in advance :)

Last edited: 13 Feb 2013
  2. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

FiiO are your best best dude, they offer plenty of nice little DAC's under 50

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Asus DG is worth a punt.

I found it to be a great step up over onboard and powers all my cans with ease.

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Fiio D03K and a RCA to 3.5mm adaptor. Plug in via optical.

Or try the Fiio D5.

5. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I don't have space for a sound card unfortunately due to the cramped arrangement inside the case- I'm really after a stand alone unit.

I have seen FiiO DACs are often recommended & talked about, though I was after a specific recommendation based on experience or trusted reviews by users..

Keep 'em coming.

EDIT:

I was hoping you'd turn up :D

£30 + a cable; works for me, cheers dude. :thumb:

6. PorkChops

PorkChops What's a Dremel?

I opted for a Fiio e10 so I could use it with both my laptop and desktop and I find it to be excellent. May be slightly out of your price range though. Very high quality build for the money, hopefully the rest of the range is of just as high quality. Either way I don't think I'll be able to listen to headphones without an amp again. Best money I've spent on tech since my SSD.

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

xonar u3

Tags: