1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobo center of mass

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by bigkingfun, 2 Sep 2016.

1. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

I realise this is not your average question, but would it be possible to get the data for a center of mass? Specifically for the X99-M WS?
    I'm a mechanical engineer designing a custom case, and I would like precise data as I'm trying to shed weight, using topology optimization. Details available upon request.

Thanks in advance.

2. Will_ASUSUK

Will_ASUSUK What's a Dremel?

Hi Bigkingfun. I don't believe I could get hold of that information for you as it is not something we hold the specs for. By looking at the board it seems it is likely that the centre of mass is more likely going to be focused closer to the top left of the board. The best thing you can try is getting hold of one and testing it. Do you need it to have a centre of mass in the middle of the board?

Kind Regards.

3. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Do you own the board bigkingfun?

I take no responsibility for the consequences of the following advice from one mechanical engineer to another. I trust in your sensibilities.

Do it semi old school yourself.
    Suspend the board from one of its mounting holes using a fixed pin that lets it spin freely
    Take a photo of the board using a tripod or some other consistent method.
    Draw a straight vertical line on the photo from the mounting point.
    Repeat in other holes on the perimeter.
    Superimpose your photos. The intersection of your lines is the centre of mass.
    Instructions unclear, set fire to board

A la GCSE physics: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebi...s_make_things_work/centre_of_mass/revision/1/

weepete likes this.
  4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Where do you have to place your finger for the board to balance on it?

5. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

That is actually a cool idea!
    I do not own it (yet) but I'm doing the topology optimization with a simulated steel plate instead of a mobo, as a factor of safety :)