1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other IP address management software

Discussion in 'Software' started by ElThomsono, 6 Apr 2017.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Currently I co-manage a number of networks each with around 100 hosts in half as many subnets, spread across a series of VPNs to remote devices.

I've inherited a series of spreadsheets listing everything (perhaps 80% of everything, in reality) in a haphazard way, and I'd like to replace them with a bit of software that can ideally:

• List subnets in use
    • List free subnets
    • Parse data that is put in to make sure it's correct
    • It'd be excellent if it could auto-discover things on an existing network

An example of an issue I'm trying to avoid is when we add subnets, they're usually /29, so if we add a /28 it consumes two blocks and sometimes this will be missed and a subnet will be assigned in the middle of a larger block that is in use.

I've had a peek at SolarWinds and it wasn't quite right, perhaps something more basic would be better?

This has to be something suitable for people who don't understand IP addressing to use, such as "I need n hosts, please give me some numbers to give to someone who understands them".

Is anyone doing anything similar? I've read the Wiki list of IP Address Management software but it would take an age to go through them.

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Only ever used IPAM from Solarwinds in a big enterprise environment.
    I think its pretty good.

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Thanks for replying; one of the things I would like it to do is parse subnets as they're imported and flag up conflicts, when I tried that in SolarWinds it silently dropped the duplicates :eyebrow:

4. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Have you seen phpipam? Looks quite good might give it ago my self.