1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Upgraded router makes modem fail constantly

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by udjamaflip, 30 Jun 2012.

1. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

hey guys,

I recently upgraded from my Linksys wrt54g to a Linksys E4200 (quite a jump in spec/support) the reason was for the additional functionality, gb enet so I can stream 1080/3D via DLNA and the better wireless speed through dual band.

Anyway, the problem is since I upgraded the modem constantly requires rebooting. It doesn't always lose the connection but it simply just stops responding/allowing traffic to go through it (I have experienced this previously with cheap modems/router-modems in the past). Simply turning the modem on/off fixes the issue instantly but it's a pain when I want to ssh away from home or if I leave a large transfer running over night.

The modem is a Netgear DM111P v2 and has always worked perfectly with the other router.

Is this because the new router requires more of the modem and therefore it keeps failing or could it be a simple configuration setting?

A lot of traffic get's thrown around between HD movie subscriptions and my girlfriend uploading/download high resolution video footage (she works in video) so pushing/pulling 20-30 gb in a day is the norm and getting tedious with the failure rate.

Hope someone can help, hopefully it's configuration. If it isn't can anybody recommend a replacement modem to compliment the new router?

Thanks,

Andy

2. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Weird. Either device running hot?

3. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

Nothing overheating, I did suspect this myself.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Its extremely rare, but sometime you do get compatibility issues, but if you have BT Broadband,or a resold BT package, over the past couple of weeks, they have had some DNS issues.

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

If you put the old router back does it work again normally?

6. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

I'm in Australia, so no BT my ISP is TPG. I also use Google's DNS as well.

Yep, placing the old router back instead of the new one stops it from happening. The router itself never falls over it's always the modem.

7. munkey

munkey What's a Dremel?

Have you tried resetting the modem to factory default? Also how long is the cable between the two, ethernet requires a minimum of 3 feet (about 1 meter).