Other Mobile Devices, IPhone 6, Windows Phone 8.1, S6, LG G3 etc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 14 Aug 2014.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I have an S4, an Apple Iphone 5, I have fault with them. S4 camera is useless, iphone 5 screen is too small.

I am trying some thing new by getting a Lumia 930 with my contract renewal, you can renew up to 75 days early with Vodafone.
    I know its not the most powerful phone in the world but its kind of polished.

I might jump ship and hit the Apple Iphone 6 if it has a decent screen size enough that I can type on the thing but for now Id like to invest my timing learning about what Microsoft are up to and the Nokia 930 is having a lot of build quality, the screen for example is soild I think its made from gorilla 3 glass or some thing, its actually a good experience using the touch of the screen.

Its daunting to change mobile device even a few weeks later you will be trying to press the same buttons on the front or the side that are not there any more :)

There is no best phone at the moment, even the LG g3 is meant to have not as good build quality that they are portraying, it feels not that good.

Has any one got a Windows Phone here?

2. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Yep just upgraded to the 930 from the 920. Problem is I am biased as I have had nokia's from the early days. Great phone. Didn't think I would notice the difference going from 720 to 1080 butits alot sharper. The 920 was quick but a side by side comparison with the 930 running the latest developer preview, the 930 is alot faster opening apps and browsing. Don't worry to much on hardware specs compared to the likes of apple and android as windows runs smooth as butter on low spec devices.

3. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Yep, Lumia 800 user here. Stuck on WP7.8 as it's an old phone. Solid as a tank though - I've dropped it more than a few times, and it's the floor that has come off worse. Battery still lasts all day after 3 years.

WP is surprisingly slick, so don't worry that the phone isn't the most powerful - flagship Android handsets have to run a JVM with the associated overhead - and bear in mind the iPhone 5 is a "mere" dual-core but gets the job done. You can't compare spec sheets for phones running different operating systems.

Only thing that sucks is the apps, if you're into that sort of thing. Microsoft should really exploit the XBox branding more, too. Mobile Office is pretty sweet though.

4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

So tempted to go over to a windows phone now

5. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Do it. Join Usssssss :D

Ok, enough evangelising for one night...

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

920 user here and I like it. Can't compare to other mobile OS' though since I haven't used any others. Sorry! Check any apps you might want are available.

Shame the 930 doesn't have glance screen support, unless they've found a workaround. I don't recall gsmarena being particularly impressed with the 930 battery. The 1520 however they were impressed with battery wise - if you fancied going for a phablet.

If it's more for a play than anything else, why don't you pick up a cheap 520? Then if you like the OS upgrade to the 930, or a different phone if you don't get along with it.

I also think the HTC W8 isn't far off either - though camera.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_930-review-1107.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/windows_phone_81-review-1068.php

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Great OS but no app support.

Even the big apps such as eBay were poor imitations.

Nokias are super well built too.

8. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

glance screen is working off the bat on my 930?
    edit: no its not lol

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I spent yesterday evening setting up a new Nokia Lumia 1020 for the missus - connecting it to Google, then her old Hotmail account so things like the app store would work, upgrading it to the pre-Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade then the actual Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade...

It's nice. Very nice. Windows Phone seems pretty slick, even if the new notification system is a blatant rip of Android's way of doing things. I'm too tied in to the Android ecosystem to consider switching, but if I were starting afresh I'd pick up a Lumia 1020 in a heartbeat. The camera - the main reason for buying that particular model - would be particularly handy if I need to do a bit of roving-reportering without my SLR.

10. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

That may have been the case at one time but it really isn't anymore. All the big apps have an equivalent WP app, either officially or through a third party.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Go ooooooooon. Switch :p

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Whilst I still think the apps aren't as good as iOS/Android, since I'm not a heavy app user it doesn't bother me.

Now 4/5 of my family are using Windows phones, with my Dad probably getting one soon. I just far prefer the interface and feel of them compared to iOS/Android phones :)