1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Parvum Systems ITX build - Project name revealed tonight!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by GeorgeStorm, 19 Oct 2013.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hey,
    Sorry for the unimaginative title, first time I've done something like this...

Thanks to:
    [​IMG]

Sponsored by:
    My wallet​

So, since I'm friends with one of the guys at Parvum I've managed to get my hands on an early version of their epic looking itx cases, as seen in various pictures. This isn't a retail version (as they aren't retail yet :p) but it's pretty close, with the main thing missing in this version being the HDD mounting system.

This build is a result of me wanting to go to various LANs throughout the year, and not owning a car, so being able to take my PC on the train was a (near) must. I actually went and bought a laptop, but since my brother will be coming to some of the events and won't be able to bring anything, I needed a 2nd system I could carry around, and I also have a MASSIVE soft spot for itx, so I didn't exactly mind :D

The specs are a bit of a downgrade (when it comes to the cpu certainly) from my current setup, chosen because I don't think I'll miss the power and it meant it gave me more money to spend on making this look good (hopefully!).

Planned specs:
    AMD 760k
    Gigabyte F2A85XN-Wifi
    MSI GTX570 (potentially to change)
    2x4gb Samsung green DDR3
    Silverstone 450W SFX PSU (gold rated modular)
    Enermax ELC120 cpu cooler
    Seagate SSD 600 series 240GB

They're the core specs, I'll be having a couple of fans (undecided), maybe a 2tb drive as well depending on space etc.

Earlier this week:
    Some new goodies :D
    [​IMG]

I wonder what's in the box....
    [​IMG]

Stuff from Parvum, looking forward to starting to put it together :)
    [​IMG]

That's it for now, should be posting some more later today/tomorrow :)

Last edited: 21 Oct 2013
  2. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Well of course.. subbed and following on this one :D

Really excited to see the little one at LSUCS LAN41!

3. MattoDaLegare

MattoDaLegare What's a Dremel?

:thumb: Subbed! I love parvum build :p

4. GeorgeStorm

Hopefully I'll update this tomorrow, did some more this weekend but due to only having 4gb RAM in my PC at the moment I can't import the photos as Windows keeps moaning I have no memory :p

5. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Thats not good enough George we need updates now!!!!!!!

6. GeorgeStorm

Don't worry, you'll be getting an update tonight :)

7. GeorgeStorm

So, managed to scrounge some more RAM in order to be able to sort out some photos (which turned out to all be terrible but ah well!)

Here's the update as promised: (I apologise in advance for the pictures)
    Here's the cpu that will be going into the build, hoping it's a good clocker as I'll be aiming to push it once the build itself is finished ;)
    [​IMG]

Then we've got the lovely little board, I like Gigabyte boards, and this mitx is no exception! :)
    [​IMG]

Sitting snug.
    [​IMG]

Now to start putting the case together, just like in life I decided to start at the bottom and work my way up:
    [​IMG]

The acrylic and cube structure is great to work with, can be a little fiddly if you're a bit clumsy (looking at me) but it's a wonderfully elegant and simple solution.
    [​IMG]

I attached the front panels to the base along with the Enermax AiO.
    [​IMG]

Starting to take shape...
    [​IMG]

That's all for now, should have more tomorrow :) (but hopefully this will keep you sated until then flame!)

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  8. GeorgeStorm

Here we go with a bit of an update (which has its ups and downs!)

So the next step was to install the mid wall into the case with the motherboard and install the cooler:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next step was on the other side of the mid wall, the PSU!
    Here's the little beauty :D
    [​IMG]

Installed in the case!
    [​IMG]

Just wired up the motherboard quickly to get a quick idea of how things might run, albeit with the stock cables which may or may not be staying ;)
    [​IMG]

This is when it all went a bit wrong :(
    Went to install my gpu, and uh oh...
    [​IMG]

That's a rather tight looking fit, or how about no fit at all :(
    [​IMG]

It may be rather difficult to tell from that picture, but the card needs to move a couple of mm towards the front of the case to actually go into the slot, but it can't, so that's a bit of an issue.

So I decided a new gpu was required and started to do some looking, hopefully a more positive update will be coming tomorrow!

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

That's a nice little case from Parvum there and the SST-ST45SF-G is a very nice PSU aswell. I've got the older SST-ST45SF without the cable-management and it works like a charm.

For the GPU-issues you have there.... I'd recomend getting a ASUS GTX670 DirectCU Mini :)

10. GeorgeStorm

Yeah, only issue being the price, and extra £60+ over a 'standard' 670 and what I was thinking I could spend :(

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Snazzy, George. I like it a lot.

What's the noise level like from that PSU?

12. Andreas | Brodholm

Andreas | Brodholm Minimodder

Looking good! Love those cases!

I was about to comment on that. My friend got the exact same PSU. The stock fan are horrible. I mean really bad. It sounded more than 3x120mm SP fans from corsair and also a DDC3.2 pump. That fan was the loudest thing by faaaaar!

When he changed the fan for another one it got really quiet though. So a fan change is recommended (but they may have updated it. I am not sure)

13. GeorgeStorm

No idea as I haven't powered it up yet :p

I did read various reports of loud fans, but I think I also read that in some version it's ok, so I'll just wait and see, changing the fan isn't out of the question if it is bad afterall!

Update coming soon.

14. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

How about removing few mm from orange plexi piece in front of GPU?

That xcould save yu some money. Or even better solution-find someone who is willing to swap his GPU with yours.

15. GeorgeStorm

It was considered, and in an ideal world that might happen, but sadly due to the time constraints it makes things a little more difficult, more details below :)

Another update!

Was hoping this was going to be more positive than the last one, however things did not exactly go as plan....

Start off on a good note, new stuff :D
    [​IMG]
    I wonder what's in the box?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New fans to fit the colour scheme a little better, even me with my lack of colour awareness realised that the random blue leds of the black fan currently on the radiator wouldn't fit in with the overall look.

The new GPU being a Twin Frozr 7950 from MSI :)

The SSD for the build, a Seagate drive, had it for a couple of months now, been saving it for this build!
    [​IMG]
    Potential location, most likely attached to the side of the radiator, off of the base.
    [​IMG]

Let's get some RAM in this thing, and the Samsung sticks are perfect, nice and small like the rest of the build.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Went to install the fans, and found that the orientation of the radiator as it was, with the hoses coming from the top was a little awkward, so decided to flip it around.
    Looks a little more beefy now, and fits nicely into the space! (before anyone says anything, yes I need to remove one of the fans to bring the power cable through but I forgot!)
    [​IMG]

So, to installing the gpu!
    [​IMG]
    Wait a minute, that looks a little familiar....
    [​IMG]

Not what I wanted to see. Got a quick ruler out and what do you know, the PCB wasn't 261mm as stated on MSI's own specifications page, but was in fact around 267mm, basically the same length as my previous card and so it doesn't fit!

Now I must say here, whilst Scan haven't sponsored me at all with this build, I do want to thank them, thanks to them using DPD I've been able to get stuff ordered for next day delivery which has been a life saver. They also offered a complete refund of the MSI card considering the circumstances which is greatly appreciated.

So I was in rather a panic, spoke to Justin at Parvum about the possibility of cutting the acrylic, but wasn't sure how to do it without ruining the front, since cutting all the way through would be seen via the logo on the front.
    In the end I ordered a MSI (risky I know!) GTX670 OC card. Meant to be 242mm, so even if it's a bit out should have plenty of room, the plain black look of the card shouldn't look too out of place either. Once again thanks to Scan that will be arriving tomorrow when hopefully I can actually get everything plugged in and at least check to see if anything is dead, then hopefully get Windows and some games installed ready for the LAN at the weekend!

16. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

All very nice and tidy

17. GeorgeStorm

18. SiZZiGY

SiZZiGY Nano Evolution in progress...

Nice job :) I Like a lot this mix of white and orange color, make it very clear its good :p

19. GeorgeStorm

Was planning to post an update now but imgur seems to be down so it will have to wait a little longer, it's a good one :)

20. GeorgeStorm

Aaaand it's back so here we go:

Look what arrived today :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yup new GPU (third time's the charm right?)

Nice and clean looks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And what's even better than that?

It fits! :D
    [​IMG]

Then started to sort out some of the cables
    [​IMG]
    Including the fiddly power switch (my fingertips weren't happy!)
    [​IMG]

Then I could start putting the rest of this beautiful case together :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I apologise for the reflections, just wanted to get a couple of quick pictures of it fully built)

We have life!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple of quick shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that's where it is right now, and I'll be packing it tonight ready for the LAN tomorrow where I'll be meeting Justin again to give him some feedback on and case and for him to give me feedback on my build :)
    As you can see from the last shot the build isn't fully finished, with the usb 3 ports at the front needing to be added (Justin forgot to include them :p), along with getting some nicely braided cables, and fixing the SSD in place.
    I may also be adding a HDD if it's possible (with the space available).

Hope you guys enjoyed it, I know I have and I look forward to seeing Justin's reaction at LAN and then polishing it next week :)