1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Netgear boasts of "world's fastest" desktop NAS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Nov 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Hardly seems worth it for the price. Anyone can build a NAS from off-the-shelf components for much less than this. 10GBe cards come in at around £400 each.

3. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

if it has ECC memory, maybe the cpu is a server class cpu? (entry level xeons), might be the reason too for the price aside from dual 10gbe

4. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

No point to put 10Gb/s if only do a bit better than 1Gb/s. Total bad joke specially at this price.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It supports up to 21 disks through external enclosures and has 16GB of cache, I don't doubt that it could get close to saturating a 10GbE pipe with the right workload, and would certainly be able to surpass 1Gbit.

With regards to the price, you have appreciate that NetGear calling it a "desktop" NAS simply means that it's not a rackmount, as opposed to them think this is going to live inside someone's home. This is competing against entry level products from "real" storage vendors - many of which are appreciably more expensive.

The quad core Xeon in this box should give it fairly decent performance for low-scale server virtualisation and CIFS for a good few users - all that for £2500 + disks ins't too bad.

6. leslie

leslie Just me!

Desktop infers home use, it should be a workstation NAS.

7. Mister_Tad

Technically speaking, you infer, it implies... :worried:

You'll find this NAS nowhere amongst Netgear's "Home" products page though - the NAS is positioned correctly, though clearly the press release is badly worded.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Complete overkill for most people's/company's needs...

...I want one

EDIT: And I have to agree with Mister_Tad in that I read 'Desktop' purely as 'free-standing'/'not rack-mounted'... in no way, shape or form is that thing aimed at home users...

9. Mister_Tad

Positively entry-level when you consider you can cluster 24 of these :thumb:

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Nice little budget device, but I do question that a company who's running a 10GbE network would skimp and not buy storage of the same caliber.

11. Mister_Tad

You make a good point. Perhaps a niche product aimed at small media houses with a handful of users working on >HD content?

But then any 10GbE gear you're going to get is going to be rackmount, making this form factor somewhat of an odd choice.

Another use case would be for a portable storage device, to use for ingesting from/seeding to remote sites on to "proper" storage, where WAN links make moving data over the wire impossible. A company I previously worked for had a pool of various QNAP boxes that were used for just this, but the single 1Gb port on most of them made shifting data painful on times.

12. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Uggh, Netapp.... Bain of my existence at the moment (next to iPhones). The number of disk failures we are getting on a daily basis is a joke, all because some drive firmware may be incompatible with a software update. I feel sorry for the netapp 3rd party engineer, the guy comes here so often he may as well move in.