1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Safe To Delete InstallShield Installation Information Folder ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Monkey, 17 Nov 2006.

1. Monkey

Monkey What's a Dremel?

In C:\Program Files theres a hidden folder called InstallShield Installation Information, inside this folder is a load of folders that are { loads of letters and numbers here }. Is it ok/safe to delete the main folder its self or the sub folders as the items in this folder are takeing up around 600mb.

2. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

I wouldn't touch it.

3. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

If you are talking about the InstallShield folder that is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files, then this can be deleted safely. The next time you install a piece of software that uses the InstallShield process rather than the Microsoft Installer (msi), then the folder will be re-created. This often becomes corrupt as a folder and it is routine to delete it in these situations. We do it in work every day, several times a day with loads of customers using our older software.

4. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

If your deperate to free up 600mb I'd lookat the bigger picture, do you need a bigger disk?

you could try renaming it see if anything stops working and then delete it at a later date, but you'll probably find it's in use and it won't let you anyway.

5. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

It is only used during installation of software - normally older items as most new software uses msi as it is free and you have to pay for the InstallShield license.

6. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

He's not.

It's a hidden folder located in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information. It contains the information needed to uninstall several programs. While it can balloon in size and contain some folders that are no longer needed, deleting the entire folder is only asking for a headache.

I agree with Sp! - look into getting a bigger drive. 600MB is nothing to fret about these days.

7. Monkey

Monkey What's a Dremel?

I dont need the space badly, i was just curious as to wether i could be deleted like the files in the temp folder can. 600mb aint that much i know but i have a 15gb partition that has only the OS on it.

All i needed to really know was can i delete and seen as the answer is no then i'll leave be.

Thanks for the replys.

8. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Rename the folder to InstallShield_old. If something breaks, change the name back otherwise delete it.

Tags: