1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Permissions Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Teknokid, 9 Jul 2014.

1. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me - I'm having a few problems with file permissions.

On my workgroup I have my domain server with a number of shares on - a few of which only want to be accessed by a select few.

I'm on the 'allowed' list, but when I try and access it from my machine it won't let me in. Oddly, when I login to another machine I can access the share without problem.

Even logging into my machine as an administrator I can't get into the share - but I can access the other shares on the server without problem.

If anyone can help me I'd be very grateful!

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

is the computer you are using on a workgroup or the domain? Or is it all on a domain, with a server also on the domain.

If it's on a workgroup then it should ask you for credentials when you try and connect to the share on the server - does it do that?

how are you accessing the share, with a unc path or mounted as a disk etc.?

3. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

It's not a workgroup at all, sorry for confusing things. The server is the domain host, and the server has the share, which is mounting as a disk.

I hope that makes sense!

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Moved to Tech Support

Are you in a group that doesn't have permissions to this folder which is conflicting with being an individual that is allowed permission? I had a similar issue at work whereby we wanted to deny write permissions to "All Staff" for a particular folder but give me write permissions, however because I was a member of "All Staff" it was creating a conflict.

5. Margo Baggins

Yeah there is this - if you are in conflicting groups the most restrictive will normally reign supreme.

However - it's weird that it works on another machine. Does it work on another machine logged in as you or as someone else?

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Oh yeah - forgot about the fact it works on other machines...

7. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

it works fine on another machine logged in as me - and similarly, anyone else logged in on mine has the same problem as me..

8. Margo Baggins

that's strange. I guess you don't have access to the active directory or anything?

Is the drive mounted using a login script on your AD profile, or some kind of local script on the machine?

9. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

(Im afraid I'm not 100% sure of what you're saying, its a little over my head). The network drive is mounted on the server, so I go to explorer, go to the server and the network drive is there.

Strangely, if I access the server using it's IP address rather than network name, I can access the file share perfectly...

10. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

If you can access the server shares via the server IP, it sounds like the machine having issues isn't picking up DNS correctly for that server.

if you go into a command prompt (start --> run --> cmd) and do a ping to the server name, does it respond? does it try to ping the correct IP address (as you know this IP already as you mentioned it works accessing shared direct from IP)

Where you say you can't get into the shares, does that mean you can browse to the server in explorer by typing its name or browse the network and open the server from there? Can you open the server and see the list of shares but can't double click to open one, or do you mean if you browse to the server you don't get the list showing the shares on that server?

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Add your server details in the local hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts). Remember to check the file has write permissions before opening it.

I.e. add a line with ip address, tab tab, server name.

E.g.

192.168.0.10 servername
    192.168.0.10 servername.domainname

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

might be worth flushing the dns cache as well cmd prompt, ipconfig /flushdns

13. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Is your machine in the correct OU in AD? Is the other machine in the same OU? It might be in an OU that is picking up group policies your machine should otherwise be excluded from?

Run cmd on both machines and type: gpresult

Do they return the same policies?

14. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

*shudders*
    That's a bodge my friend... :nono: :nono:

15. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Thou mustest explain thy logic. Why is that a nono? Is it a security issue?

16. Margo Baggins

No but it implies your DNS isn't working properly, and really, you want your DNS to work properly.

17. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

+5 points for Baggins