1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Micron starts shipping Phase Change Memory

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

What's sulfur? ;-)

Am I understanding the figures right - that this works at about half the theoretical maximum of SATA3, with a similar lifespan of SSD, but with a slight performance increase when writing compared to SSD?

I'm guessing that the real downside at the moment is capacity - but could we start to see PCM replace NAND as the storage device of choice in the future?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's a stupid-wordprocessor-set-to-US-English, is what it is... Fixed, ta!

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Sort it out :p

Sounds interesting, wonder how long it will be before it'll be a potential replacement for current technologies for the average joe.

5. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

interesting that they would choose the smart phone market as their testing grounds. I may be over-analyzing it, but I wonder if that isn't a move to disguise costs with the common practice of paying for high-end phones via long-term contracts.

6. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Maybe both that and lifespan - most phones get ditched after the 2-year contract is up, so if the memory/storage is going to crap out after 3 years, it doesn't matter - it's already been living in the junk drawer for quite a while anyway.

Then again, I thought the subsidized phone thing was pretty much just the US. Is that disease infecting the rest of the world now, too?

l3v1ck likes this.
  7. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I agree with Fluxtatic. The short life cycle combined with the high profit margin on high end smartphones makes them a perfect testing ground.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Already done - I'd been using some templates from a US publisher (which were, naturally, in US English) and hadn't noticed that it had managed to flip LibreOffice's default across as well. I dunno, free software, eh? I've half a mind to ask for a full refund...

9. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Sorry but Sulfur spelling has changed now. I don't like it but can't do anything about it.

However, the IUPAC adopted the spelling sulfur in 1990, as did the Royal Society of Chemistry Nomenclature Committee in 1992.[43] The Qualifications and Curriculum Authority for England and Wales recommended its use in 2000,[44] and it now appears in GCSE exams.[45] The Oxford Dictionaries note that "In chemistry... the -f- spelling is now the standard form in all related words in the field in both British and US contexts."[46]

Quote from good old Wikipedia.

Only reason I know is because I have to teach my students the correct spelling for exams i.e. Sulfur.

10. Gareth Halfacree

That I did not know. I wonder why - I mean, if the point was to make it the same across the board, why do we still have aluminium/aluminum?

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I was under the impression that aluminium was designated as the proper word (like sulfur) - but that the Americans didn't listen so they eventually caved and added aluminum as an acceptable substitute?

That could just be the standard plucky brit chemistry urban legend...

Tags: Add Tags