1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Can sound cards overheat?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Otis1337, 25 Jan 2013.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Because i suspect mine is... anyway i can check?

Teelzebub likes this.
  2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

What are the symptoms? With that DCUII dumping heat all over the card it's possibility, but more likely to be a fault on the card itself.

Can you ghetto tape a fan pointing at it to see if that resolves the problem?

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

After a while playing DayZ i start to get crackling.. like the sound you get from an empty packet of crisp's.
    Also i get reports from other TeamSpeak users my mic can sound like a motorbike been thrashed... but when i record something with the mic, its clear as day.

This only happens after a while of playing.

Latest drivers installed

Maybe use somthing like this?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-Blowe...mputing_Networking&hash=item1e76b06b14&_uhb=1

Last edited: 25 Jan 2013
  4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I was thinking a spare fan rested to blow air over it before you spend any money - heat might not be the issue so it would be a shame to waste money if it's actually a bad capacitor or something...

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

1- Remove mic from sound card,
    2- Lower mic to minimum and mute it

Does it solve your crackling problem?

If so, then you are not alone. It seams that the lower end ASUS Xonar has trouble coping with last gen GPU's when they are under load. I don't know if the Essence STX has the same problem as well, while I have it, I only have a GTX 260.

Attach your mic to your onBoard sound card, or use a USB mic like the one in web cams.