1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft's Sharks Cove SBC up for pre-order

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

120 GPIO pins (and nicely socketed rather than needing a breakout daughterboard)? DO WANT.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd be careful: the Nvidia Jetson TK1 has, technically speaking, 125 GPIO pins right there on the board - but only seven are available for true general-purpose use, with the rest being reserved for various other functions like CSI. I haven't found a proper pin-out diagram for the Sharks Cove yet, so I don't know how many of the 120 'GPIO' pins are actually available for direct use.

4. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

I certainly know the intended market for this and it seems like a great idea and fairly cheap for what it is.

However...I'd also love to see a similar "bare board" with integrated Bay Trail SoC, but stripping out a lot of stuff, like the GPIO, for things like basic low end system builders.

Something based on the Bay Trail-T platform maybe for low cost. Even if that means having to ditch SATA, for things like HTPC, router, SDS, lightweight server, etc it could still be awesome. Bay Trail-T board based on the z3775, with a pair of USB2, a USB3, maybe integrated 32/64GB of eMMC, SD card slot and gigabit ethernet port....awesome. Especially if it could be had for <$100. The Bay Trail-D based NUC is nice, but it is also still >$150 and the SoC on it is nearly the entire cost, where as the cost on the z3775 is something like $35 instead of >$100.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Much like the Beagleboard, it wouldn't surprise me if you could just revert the GPIO pins, but since this runs on Windows I'm not sure how easy or doable that is.

I'm surprised they decided to make this x86 based, but since both MS and intel want this piece of the market I guess it makes sense for them to collaborate. I just don't understand why they didn't include any form of networking, but they felt adding webcam connectors was a better priority.

Anyway, considering the people involved, the price doesn't surprise me. I'd much rather get a Jetson or UDOO (then again, I already own an UDOO).

6. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

300€ for a Atom board without network? DO KEEP IT FOR YOURSELF!!!