1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Games I Own: Requiem: Avenging Angel

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Requiem: Avenging Angel is a classic example of a game that should be very well known, but isn’t. In fact, it’s more likely that you've never heard of it, which is odd considering that it was the first ever game to feature bullet time, while having similar gameplay to Jedi Knight. That sounds like a winning formula, right?

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/2011/02/13/games-i-own-requiem-avenging-angel/

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I remember this game! It'll always stick in my mind for some reason, probably the fact that it struck me as very depressing. The game was also b*st*rd hard - most of the bosses required a few attempts and the final boss I couldn't do (my brother managed to finish him off in the end).

Possessing was good fun. Simply find the biggest human soldier using the 'out of body experience' and then go nuts.

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

was there a demo? i think i remember this game. of course in 1999 i was most likely too busy feeding my descent addiction.

4. Optimaximal

Optimaximal What's a Dremel?

One of my favourite bits was the 'Too Salt' power. It was amusing to watch legions of enemies slowly dissolve to nothing.

5. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

I quite liked the game because it was challenging. Story wise I didn't mind the religious background as it reminded me of the background to Vampire the Masquerade (pen & paper RPG). A lot of stories, novels, games, etc. borrow from well known religions as it is an easily identifiable background that doesn't need much explaining as most people will know something about it.

Powers were cool and the game was hard, I like challenging games and this one was very tough and long.

It tried to set some high standards and tried at a story but was not successful. Can think of a few other games in that category, VtM:Bloodlines being one.

6. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

There is nothing wrong with a religious background for a game, it's just that they're hardly ever done well. Usually this is because of a poor understanding of the subject matter and too much effort to make it 'cool', 'edgy' or 'updated'.
    Dante's Inferno was a pile of dung, for instance.
    And then there are the Japanese games with pseudo-Christian plots....... the less said the better.

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I've been trying to get my hands on this game for years. I never got to play it, but always thought it looked interesteing after seeing a review in PCZone years ago.

8. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

The only reason i've heared of this game if because it was listed in a "Creative Environmental Sound" publicity booklet that was included in game boxes at the time. I don't remember actually reading a review of this game at the time or seeing it shops.

Messiah was another great game where you could possess people. I love that game.

9. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

painkiller was a great game with a religious premise. never played this one, though...'99 would have been perfect timing for me, too, having just beaten Shadow Warrior (I was a little behind).

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

FWIW, I loved this game. Much more so than Shiny's Messiah.

11. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Yes there was a demo. I got mine with my copy of Heroes and Might and Magic 3 that I bought years ago. I think because they had the same publisher, 3DO?

I can barely remember anything about the game tbh. All I do know is that at the time I had 2 demo's on my PC, this one, and Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, and it was the latter that got played over and over...

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I loved that game! I remember I had Gravis Ultrasound card, sound it that game was fantastic! I had 4 speakers plugged and loved to keep them on very loud when was shooting with rifle. Brilliant game, but like someone mentioned pretty depressing:)

13. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

I definately played the demo of Messiah and wasn't too impressed. I can certainly remember this game but can't think if I ever played it. Such is old age :duh:

14. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

I always wanted to play this, I could never find a copy. I remembered it a little while ago but couldnt remember the name until I saw this article. Flaws aside I would have just liked the chance to play it.

Tags: Add Tags