1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Counter-Strike: Global Offensive review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 24 Aug 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Holy crap.

Not only is it a new Counter-strike, but it's a 99%er! Must. Buy.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Me thinks someone slipped something in to Joe's coffee this morning!

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

5. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Sensational! It could have gone either way I figured, with a bashing for lack of innovation and such but as you point out, there is innovation there, it's just restricted to the CS type of innovation.

And that kind of innovation usually means, nothing needs changing. CS is still the king of the shooters!

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Have to remember to pick it up in the inevitable next sale. Unless, of course, I get a chance to play it earlier and realize I simply _must_ own it.

BTW, you can't post comments from the article. At least I repeatedly got an error. Something about an invalid thread or some such.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Latest news confirmed: VAC bans will not be carried over to CS:GO.

I think this is fair given the time difference in games.

I myself got a ban when TF2 was new for using a glitch to unlock all the content - stupid and childish at the time, and I've rightly not been able to play TF2 or CS:S or any other Source Engine game since, no complaints here. But lesson learnt, many years and a lot of growing up later, I'm happy to see i can play CS:GO :)

8. Bonedoctor

Bonedoctor Have you turned it off & on again?

Here here! Just been playing and SO-SO CS with plastic surgery and shiny new look. New maps are great - tight and focused - and gameplay needs new skills/tweaks (?rego/hitbox/recoil change) so a new challenge there. Good one Valve. Keep up the good work.

9. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Few new maps, lack of kill cam, but still gets 99%? Seems a bit high given the lac k of new maps especially is a fairly large omission. What is better to regenerate a series after all than brand spanking new maps that new players be on level playing field with the older player?.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Good to see they didn't try to reinvent the wheel.
    Certainly going to buy it, once i'll have some time to play it, prob tomorrowish.

11. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

VAC bans haven't carried over to new games since L4D came out. Since then, VAC bans only apply to the game that you cheated in.

12. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

the game is that good eh?

13. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Lack of kill cam? Is this something you would really want? I know it's something I wouldn't want - it would detract from what CS is about for me. I can see why people may want it in the casual mode, but comming from competitive 1.6 I can see myself spending most time playing the competitive mode.

As mentioned in the other thread I'm enjoying what little I have played so far :)

14. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

I think it's good but not 99% good! More 85%. There are annoyances ie only 1 frag per person really Valve... I mean really?

15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I quote the review:

I dont play CS, all im pointing out is that maps and this (which COD fan apparently love) would to me, with the emphasis put on them, to be worth more than a 1% drop :)

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It must be a damn fine game, Joe doesn't even like multiplayer games as a rule!

17. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Wow 99%, is this the highest scored game ever on BT. I wasnt going to buy it but it looks too good to pass up :)

18. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

Well, since the switch to percentages. There were a few 10/10s before that.

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Actually, the highest score I've ever given was to Sequence, which got 100/100. I had the art editor make the image special, just before we were all moved to freelance. I've also repeatedly asked to be allowed to elevate Chime to a 100/100 because, really, how could you improve that game?

As for the 10/10s. I'd change some of those too. I was very young when I gave BioShock a 10/10 and I hate my review of Braid as well. It deserves a 10/10, but not for the reasons I gave.

C'est la vie.

Killcams are very valuable to casual players. I'm surprised they aren't included as an option at least.

As for the lack of maps; consider the price and the polish in place and I think it's forgiveable. Especially with an SDK on the way and the fact that the new modes get new maps too.

20. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

As a very casual FPS player, I really don't like the killcam, I'd rather see whats going on in the game or just play again straight away. Like in BF3, you see 10 secs worth of player randomly shooting and running. I do like a match winning killcam though :)

Tags: Add Tags