1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox 2 Alpha 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Neo.Luxembourg

Neo.Luxembourg What's a Dremel?

@Mac and his 17Mb .... maybe because of the "Universal binaries" ?

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

memory leak gone? anyone?

4. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

Is the mac version Cocoa bred yet? I'd really like it if Firefox could take advantage of OS X's features like integrated spellcheck, dictionary, and direct PDF printing/viewing, not to mention download file management, like Safari.

Meh, if not, I'll be paitent. The current incarnation of Firefox on OSX w/ Sage is hot stuff, and Safari, even with its slick goodness, is not a match.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

As a loyal Opera user (Closet fanboy perhaps?) I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand I'm glad to see someone taking market share away from MS, but on the other hand that list of new features looks like a lot of things Opera has had for quite a while. What's the big deal with FF??? :confused:

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

"links default to opening in new tabs" Damn. I hate tabbed browsing as I find it slower (no alt-tab) I sure hope I can turn that option off :)

7. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

seems pretty good so far, not a huge change or leap forward. Spell checker is pretty useful so far, and not to intrusive. The time it takes to open seems to have decreased, maybe thats just me thinking it has though?

Glad they have kept it pretty similar without a load of extra new features that are completely useless to 99% of people. Companies need to stop releasing new versions of things that are exactly the same, with the same problems but with a load more bloat. Nice one mozilla, all is good. (lol mozilla isn't in the spell checker dictionary)

8. quack

quack Minimodder

Alpha 3 will be out on the 26th.

9. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

hmm, sounds like the firefox i have...it seems to have combined TabMix Plus, and a spell checker... :) ah well ,i suppose less of my extensions have to be compatable i guess :)

10. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

What's the big deal with iPod? Or TiVo? Or Counter-strike? It's not who does it first, it's who does it well enough and early enough, then gets the word out the loudest. I don't recall any full-page Opera ads in any mainstream newspapers.

Personally I love the tabs feature. Then again, I usually have 10-20 different "sessions" going at once, so Alt-Tab isn't going to cut it for me :D No doubt it will be a configurable option.

Either it's locked on, in which case I'll be annoyed by its continual attempts to "fix" words it doesn't know (my main gripe with MS auto-spellchecking), or it will be an option, in which case I still expect to see forums flooded with barely-coherent, illiterate ramblings from children and people who act like children. And I haven't seen a spelling- or grammar-checker yet that gets apostrophe usage right all the time.

Nezuji :)

11. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

omg omg tabbed browsing is the way to go...

everyone knows that [full stop]

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

CTRL-Tab navigates between tabs; CTRL-Shift-Tab navigates through tabs the other way.

13. fev

fev Industry Fallout

we should make firefox 2 compulsory for all new members whom don't pass the spelling test which should be included during sign up :p

14. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

All I want is more of the same, maybe intergrate the best extensions, such as Tabbrowser Preferences, and AdBlock. But as these are major exstentions I imagine it wont take long for them to re-appear for the new version. More of the same please FireFox.

I miss the old 'Next Image' extension, anybody know if theres a version for FF 1.5? cheers. See old version here: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/nextimage

Last edited: 22 May 2006
  15. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Did any other pedants out there spot the ironic mistake in a post about poor English in forum posts?!

By way of explanation, the correct way to phrase fev's post is "...all new members who don't pass the...", because 'who' is the subject of the compound verb 'don't pass'. 'Whom' is an object pronoun, so should be used in sentences such as "Mclean007 is a pedantic clown to whom grammatical correctness is a serious matter."

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

well spotted,

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Not only for the person that posts... :D

Last edited: 22 May 2006
  18. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

I do'nt realy mnid if their is'nt a spelcheckre, i nevr need 1 neway :worried:

19. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

I would like to see Firefox get rid of it's user profiles. I find it outdated and horrible for migrating stuff over to other PC's...

Back in the day of Win9X, browser profiles were great as there were not separate user logons. Now, there is no real need for them as Win2k/XP have separate logons/accounts for users to use.

I can migrate profiles just fine now, but it took a few too many late nights to get all the bits and pieces sorted out. Hell, Thunderbird still gives me the shakes when I have to rebuild a PC. There are just way too many things you have to tweak becuase of the multiple profile feature... :duh:

20. fev

fev Industry Fallout

it takes less than 3 minutes to setup thunderbird,
    input server settings from memory and click check email?

How's that difficult?

Tags: Add Tags