1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EXCLUSIVE: Cyberlink to launch new TrueTheatre tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 30 May 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

With 'AnyDVD HD', Media Player Classic - 'Home Cinema Edition' and ffdshow, plus a load of filter tweaking, you can play anything.
    PowerDVD is bloaty and crap, always has been. I made the mistake of buying it and it didn't do what it was supposed to. They can add all the faux upscaling addons they want, I won't be buying it again.
    MPC offloads decoding to the GPU, is less than 6MB and can output via Vista's EVR... why do I need to pay for something?

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Surely Cyberlink could implement this through CUDA?

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Has a retail box like that for powerDVD ever actually existed?

I'm long since past the point where I'm even the vaguest bit taken by Latest Buzzword Here Video Processing Technology. Has anyone here ever had a DVD player, VCR or TV on which any of the picture processing - denoiser, whatever - didn't turn things into a hideous blurry mess? And frame rate interpolation? People all over the planet are busting their backsides to shoot stuff in 24-frame-per-second video modes to make it look more dramatic, and you want to interp it up to 60 or whatever? I've seen this done and it makes nicely-shot, well-budgeted TV drama look like an Aussie soap. It's a complete raping of the director's intent.

The reason TV pictures look like crap is simple - compression. I cut HD video uncompressed; that's 1600 megabits per second. Even the current BBC HD demos are only 20, and that's vastly more than any "real" service uses. Standard def DVB as seen in the UK is usually 3 to 5 megabit MPEG-2. I'v worked on channels which proposed two and a half. You do the math. DVDs ten to look OK because they can "afford" better bitrates but even then the compression isn't often that carefully done.

5. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Some of the latest 120hz TVs are coming with a 5:5 pull down option. This means you can play a Blue Ray DVD in 1080p24 mode, and still take advantage of the 120hz refresh rate, without the soap opera look. So if you are in the market for a new HDTV that is a good feature to look for.

The latest drivers from ATI (Catalyst 8.5) also set up their HDTV mode support. So those of you with home theater PCs with ATI hardware should do a driver update.

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

huh did they work on the audio issue about the audio being downgraded when watching a Blu-ray or HD-dvd? or has this been corrected for some time now?

7. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Well at least these featured aren't forced onto the user allowing us to experiment with them all. You can turn and off whichever you like and save some performance at the same time.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope not yet, but Asus has a product which will get round it :D

Tags: Add Tags