1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Opinions on Sony Xperia Z tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Comrade Woody, 6 Nov 2013.

1. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

So, my landlord has asked me for my opinion on this...
    I assume he's talking about the Xperia Z.

In this case I am not a lot of help because I don't own a tablet and I don't pay them much attention. From looking around online briefly the Sony seems to be a good choice for him, but I'd appreciate opinions from people who know more than I do about tablets, and particularly from people who already own one of these.

P.S. I included the last sentence in the quote because it made me laugh, not to spark a debate ;)

Last edited: 6 Nov 2013
  2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Xperia tablet Z is the 10" tablet version of the Xperia Z phone, from a water proofing perspective my phone has already taken an accidental dip in the sea and been covered in beer, no problems, it relies on you not undoing the flaps of course so you should consider the docking station so flaps can be sealed at all times.

It should be noted that they don't float, so if you drop it in deep water you may never recover it, I was only up to my waist videoing the kids playing in the sea still took a while to find it.

From a performance perspective it is good enough, there are faster tablets around and plenty with better screens but not many with the water resistance.

Of course a waterproof bag and any tablet may be up to the job, depends on what he needs, just been tablet shopping myself and from a 10" perspective the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 is very nice indeed, doesn't have its own water resistance though, would need to be put in something.

3. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I don't think he's planning on putting it in the water on purpose, with it being used on his boat I think he's just erring on the side of caution. I think the most we're talking about is some rain and spray. That said, the more protection it has against the elements the better.

4. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I have one, bought it after much research and testing of the best tablets of the time (in other words the Xperia Tablet Z and the Nexus 10, nothing else had the screen resolution or performance to match them - the transformer was an option but hideously expensive).

IMO it is the second best 10" tablet currently in existence, after the new 2014 Galaxy Note, provided you buy it cheaper than the Note. I would recommend it for your landlord over the Note because:
    1. You don't want to overspend in the tablet market right now and the 2014 Note 10.1 is currently at £500 compared to £400 for the similarly specced Xperia Tablet Z.
    2. It has all the performance anyone except for a dedicated benchmarker could want
    3. It is thin, beautiful and waterproof.

In short, I'd recommend it over the Note as its waterproof and cheaper, over the Nexus 10 because it is waterproof, lighter, thinner and looks beautiful.

However, if you wait I reckon the Tablet Z is ready to drop further in price. Mainly because it was released early 2013 and a bunch of new tablets are facing imminent release (perhaps a new Xperia and possibly a new Nexus within the next month or so). This isn't exactly the best time to buy it.

Comrade Woody likes this.
  5. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help :)