1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve drops touch-screen from Steam Controller

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Nice move. I'd hate to have to look at a touche screen, and thus getting my eyes off of the screen. Trust your fingers, they know where they are without relying on your eyes (no hidden meaning in this sentence :p).

Last edited: 16 Jan 2014
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Agreed, it'd have been a pointless expense. SteamOS computers are already going to be a bit on the expensive side (and if not expensive, mediocre) so I don't think one of these controllers will really have an appeal if they end up costing more than $100 due to a touchscreen.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

But wasn't this a selling point? The premise was good and a lot here including myself would have liked to see it.

Is it just me or are the stand out benefits of a SteamBox/Machine/OS starting to look a bit thin on the ground?

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

No, the touch screen controller was the selling point of the Wii-U. The Steam controller's selling point was being able to play games that require a mouse and keyboard, and the fact there are no physical joysticks. Unless I misunderstood something, it seems the functionality of the steam controller's touchscreen is there, it just simply isn't a screen.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Would like to know if the change from touchscreen to touchpad is going to have the same haptics as the circular ones.

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I'm pretty sure they were selling it as a revolution in game controlling with the touch screen and the circle things that nipple twist gabe.

Kinda feels like an AMD scale let down to me.