1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NZXT launches CAM monitoring software

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Farsan

Farsan What's a Dremel?

I will download and use it as soon as they launche the android app...
    I like the concept... let see

3. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It's free so you can't really complain but, "cloud-based storage for historical analysis could prove a real winner" really, I must have missed why that option would be so popular for the home user, just seems like another solution for a problem most people don't have?

I gave CAM a try and it's OK but relatively basic compared to HWiNFO which is also free and there is also a good desktop gadget for HWiNFO.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I can think of plenty of reasons why that'd be handy. Let's start with trend analysis: if I was having trouble with my rig last summer, I can have a look at how hot it got - and what programs I was running at the time - to see if I need to upgrade the cooling for this summer. Troubleshooting: if my system crashes and restarts, there's no guarantee I'll have access to historical data stored locally; if it's on remote servers, I can be looking at it on a different system while I'm waiting for my PC to reboot, see what was running and why it might have fallen over. Then there's load analysis: when it comes time to upgrade, I can use the historical data to see if I really need to splash out on a Core i7 and 1KW PSU, or if my usage indicates I'd be better off saving my cash and buying something lower-end - or vice-versa.

Remote monitoring: it's not just for enterprise users.

5. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Thanks Gareth, I hoped my "I must have missed why that option would be so popular" would get a response and your reasoning makes sense but I'm not sure that many people will actually use it to the extent you describe.

Most of us that build our own PC's know our gear inside out so when we get a problem we probably have an idea what's at fault, but if a user doesn't know where to start then I'm not sure attempting to analyze a load of historical data would help them sort out the problem and when it comes to upgrading, some sensible, restrained people might base their reasons on load analysis but for most of us it's more a case of "I must have it!" :lol: