1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The best way to attach acrylic to wood

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Knives, 13 Nov 2005.

1. Knives

Knives What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, I've started working on an antique radio pc case mod and I've run into a problem trying to figure out how to mount some of my drives. I need to drive some screws to hold some brackets, but the wood I'm using is pretty thin. To solve this I'm thinking of making an acrylic frame inside the radio's shell, but I would like to know if anyone has some suggestions on a compound to use to get the acrylic to adhear to the wood of the radio.
    Here's a picture of the radio I'm using
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for any help.

2. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

My guess is silicone or any construction adhesive but i'd go with something clear :hehe:

3. Knives

Knives What's a Dremel?

I figured I'd find some type of epoxy, but I didn't know if anyone had any suggestions on which type is the strongest for this application. Thanks for the help though.

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Have you tried just routing a bead inside the wood, creating a notch for the acrylic to fit in? Or does it need to be perfectly steady?

Nice amp, btw...:)

5. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Gluing a thin acrilyc edge to wood might be a little tough, it'll require a fairly strong epoxy. Another suggestion would be to instead of gluing the edge to the wood, make some strips of acrilyc in about a 1/2" in width (or wider) then glue those flat to the wood on either side of the acrylic's edge creating a channel for the frame. That is if you frame goes from top to bottom of the casing.