1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Jury Service

Discussion in 'General' started by lancer778544, 1 Mar 2015.

1. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I've got jury service in the morning and I will admit, I'm rather nervous (fear of the unknown probably). Has anyone here been recently and can give me an idea of what to expect? I'm just reading through all the docs that have been provided now and I've spied a video from the Ministry of Justice which I'll have a gander at later.

Ta folks :)

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Just act all crazy and twitch a lot. Say you can't wait to send some people down. Make them want to get rid of you.

Then you won't have to do it.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: Sounds good advice if you don't want to do it. :D

4. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

It's very dependant on the case. Have you been told what the alleged offence is and how long the trial is for?

If it's a one or two day trial:

Expect to be constantly in and out of the courtroom, as the prosecutor, defence and judge need to discuss all kinds of ridiculous things and you can't be present for a lot of it. Expect to be bored. Expect to turn up, sit around and at three in the afternoon told you're not needed anymore as it's been adjourned or the defendant has entered a guilty plea. Expect not to have a clue what's going on.

If it's a week or more, expect the above, plus whole new levels or boredom and depression, the likes of which you never thought could be inflicted upon you. You can spend hours and hours sitting on uncomfortable chairs listening to victim's, witnesses and defendant's be 'interviewed' and cross-examined. And after all of that you still won't know what's going on, as there's probably so much evidence withheld from you from both sides. You won't be able to know all of the facts and circumstances around the incident, however will be expected to decide whether he is guilty or not. You can enter 'no verdict' but the system really doesn't like that.

I've been in Court many times as a victim, witness and investigator. If you have any questions, fire away.

On a side note, you don't need to go to extreme's to get out of doing it. There's kind of a one strike rule where you can get out of jury service if you have important work or other commitments, but then you'll be top of the list (most of the time) for the next case that might come up. However if you do recognise anyone present in the court room you do need to say straight away.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2015
  5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

My name came up twice. Once I had to bow out as the case turned out to involve an NHS Trust I was employed by (of course that had not been checked out; I had to interrupt the introductory proceedings as soon as the Trust was mentioned to point this out and ask if it represented a conflict of interest. It did. And I had just been elected foreman of the jury. :p).

The second time I asked for exemption as only a few months ago I had blown a full working day on the previous court appearance, and I was up to my ears trying to deliver a psychology service across four hospitals, and really could not afford to waste another few days. It was granted.

Having kind of briefly experienced the system from the inside, all I can say is: avoid having to go to court at all costs.

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Pieface, lol.:D

7. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Lots of waiting !

I did it two years ago. Whilst I found the whole experience interesting, there was alot I didn't like too.

I really wasn't expecting to be called up for a case on my first day. You really do feel very uncomfortable to begin with. That said if they don't need you in a hearing don't just expect to go home. You have to wait to be told that you can go, so you have to turn up everyday if your needed or not.

You do actually get to meet some great people. The Jury I was on we got on rather well, but then I think in those sort of situations you have to.

Take your own food, especially if your hearing a trial and you then are in the phase of deliberating. Once your in the deliberating room you are not allowed to leave. So when it comes lunch time you have to send out for it. Food in there is very expensive ! If your not hearing a case or it has not yet gone as far deliberating to pass the verdict then I suggest going out - I tried to stay in the building but I wasn't all that comfortable and really going out for a wonder round town did help me to clear my head.

This is the really hard bit that I found - is in your head you will have made your own mind up about the person on trial. You hear the case, you hear the defendant and the complainant - once the prosecution and the defense has had their 2 pennies worth and all evidence has been presented it's off to deliberation.

The really horrid part was having all this info stuck in your head, not being able to tell anybody in your private/home life whats going on - it was for me and I can't speak for everyone but be prepared for some very uncomfortable, stressful sleepless nights. I couldn't tell Mrs Behemoth what was going on and pretty much for 2 weeks I had no choice but to batten down the hatches so to speak and shut her out. I hated myself for it but you are not allowed to discuss anything you hear with anyone otherwise you will be in contempt of court.

Keep an open mind too - at the end of the day, and this was the big thing for me this is someones life in the hands of 12 other people, and collectively as a group you have to decide the fate of another person - any premeditated thought that the person is automatically guilty because they are in court goes out the window until you have heard both sides of the story.

When you do get to deliberation it is kind of a relief to be able to speak about it. And everyone on my jury said the same.

The trial I was on went on for over a week and the content itself was pretty alarming which is why I had such a problem with being able to switch off of an evening and let go.

In the end our jury was split, the judge allowed 10 v 2 in the end. As we could not find enough in the evidence to suggest the accused had actually committed the offence our defendant was essentially acquitted. One of things you will be told when the judge is summing up (that takes for sodding ever and I almost fell asleep !) if there is the slightest doubt you don't feel the accused is guilty and you can't honestly give a guilty verdict then you must give the benefit of the doubt and say they are not guilty.

Oh yeah be prepared to hear lots of long big words and old English sayings too. Try not to laugh at the wigs also, I feel in this day and age they look damn silly, especially on a woman !

8. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Thanks for the advice guys, just finished my first case and will probably have to go back in next week too, just need to give them a ring later to see if I'm needed.

It wasn't as daunting as I was expected actually, the judges were actually much friendlier than I thought'd they'd be.

I see what you mean about the wigs too Behemoth...

9. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Have you seen the cost of them at all ? I thought spending £300 on a graphics card was mad !

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I'd have trouble keeping a straight face...