1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows loses market share to Mac OS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Well perhaps this will push Microsoft to innovate a bit more. Dropping the price of Windows 7 was certainly a step in the right direction this time around. Overall the Mac OS is a fairly decent OS, it's just that Apple machines aren't all that and a bag of chips. They look great, but their overall performance is mediocre at best for what they charge.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Apple might have grown their market share thanks to the iPhone, but what if you only look at desktops and laptops - i.e. devices where you can actually change the operating system? I can't imagine Apple would do so well then.

Including the iPhone as an installed Apple OS is a pointless statistic, because it's not as though you can opt to use another OS, is it?

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

That little increase in MacOS, is mostly due to some people buying Macs to develop iPhone software on it, as you can't do it in Windows, which explains what the article links it to the iPhone popularity.

5. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I thought MAC's once had 8% of the market a few years ago... then it dropped and dropped to like a lowly 3%, and appears to be climbing now again... amazing really considering the price of the damn things !

6. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

It's kind of funny this whole Mac vs PC war. I used a new Mac this weekend at a friends house and found it to be more of a pain to use. It was cool and fancy, but I'd never use 80% of it's features.

7. Zippy

Zippy What's a Dremel?

You can't opt for a different OS in the iPhone but you can opt for a different phone, I wonder if windows mobile was included in Windows?

8. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

HA! that makes me laugh; Mac OS X has a 5.27 % share and Apple's browser Safari only has a 4.42 % share... Even the Mac fanboys don't like Safari!!!!

Can't stand Macs, style over substance!

9. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

I would like to see seperate numbers for private laptops and desktops. I would believe that the number i far higher when we are talking private laptops as there are a huge amount of corporate desktops that are helping to keep Windows in the lead.

10. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Windows 7 RC was such an insult I bought a macbook pro and to be fair, I don't feel like I have been robbed. OSX is a bit different and takes some getting used it - and not without it's faults, but it is nice to use and the improvement I have seen in Snow Leopard over old Leopard justified the £10 I paid to upgrade. I don't see W7 as a step forward over Vista x64, especially after two service packs and a platform upgrade that included DX11. If you have been using XP, anything is an improvement. If you stopped using Vista after it launched with a few problems, W7 may seem like an improvement, but Vista SP2 works just fine now. I'll save my money and just buy more RAM with it.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

That is because you barely used Win7.
    I think anyone here, knows how much I know, used, and likes Vista 64-bit. I tested (public beta - RC) Windows 7 and I find it worth it, even the full price form Vista. It has enough improvement and features to justify it's price. And no, it's not because "Vista sucked", Vista was clearly better than XP.

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

this is only the PC marketshare... you know the physical desktop towers and monitors that we always talk about on this site. This has nothing to do with the iPhone.

13. apexwm

apexwm What's a Dremel?

2010 will be interesting for Apple and Microsoft. Unfortunately though, both Windows and Mac OS X are proprietary operating systems, and have restrictions on them (although Apple has FAR less restrictions than Microsoft). I am hoping to see better numbers for Linux. 1% of the market is miniscule, but keep in mind this requires the users of the entire 1% to be purchasing and installing their own operating system. Windows and Mac OS are available in retail stores and come installed by default, Linux does not. The fact that 1% is ditching Windows/Mac OS X and installing Linux says something. Hopefully others try Linux and see what actual free software (free as in free to use the computer the way YOU want to) is made of.

<a href="http://members.apex-internet.com/sa/windowslinux">http://members.apex-internet.com/sa/windowslinux</a>

14. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Personally, I don't like MAC's and haven't since the 7th grade. But what i do like is competition. It drives innovation and value in any industry. So while I will most likely never own another Macintosh, I say more power to them. Knock Windows down a few notches and make them work harder to earn my money.

15. nilesfoundglory

nilesfoundglory What's a Dremel?

Coming from an academic tech support environment, I've seen an even year-over-year growth in the Apple market. End users on my campus are switching to Mac OS in droves mostly for the 'simple yet elegant' appeal of the hardware and the 'It just works' OS. Now, we all may know that Windows 7 has helped Microsoft in the latter field (and, in some instances, put it ahead of Mac OS), it doesn't help that Microsoft can't anticipate every piece of hardware going into every system sold with Windows, which makes streamlining hardware compatibility a near impossibility (without bloating the Windows OS to epic proportions, anyway). While more advanced users are willing to accept this fact and take the appropriate measures to ensure compatibility and stability, the general populace doesn't want to deal with such tasks and lament such maintenance as a headache. I feel Windows 7 will do some part in stemming the tide, but Apple will continue their due diligence and continue to innovate by updating their existing products for better user integration and create new products that find ways of defining or refining new or emerging product markets.

16. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

so wait, windows 7 gets half of apples entire market share in 2 weeks and all the headlines read: apple is gaining market share?

5% isnt a lot, and yes while OSX just works, it's not really suited for any sort of serious work short of video editing (final cut pro) and that piece of software is pretty much the only redeeming feature i can think of...

17. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Still though it is sort of funny to see Microsoft lose overall market share to an OS that is actually even worse than the new ones it makes.

18. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

bit-tech.net starting to believe Electronista is a good news source makes me start to believe bit-tech.net is about to be a bad news source.

19. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

also just to point out their survey is done on internet traffic stats, cause last time i checked the iphone OS doesn't work on PCs.

at the end of the day there is that lovely saying: Lies, damned lies, and statistics

20. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

windows is for business. windows is for gamers. windows is for hardware gurus and overclockers. windows is for media.

apple is for college hippies, grandmothers and non nerds that still want to seem tech savvy (that is my opinion and i am sticking to it). all you can really do with apple are office work, casual games, and some media editing.

want to play triple a game tittles? better get a PC (or a console). want to upgrade hardware to something of your choice? PC. want to get some random software for CAD or MIDI or any number of other things? bet on getting a PC.

Why? because Microsoft lets *anyone* develop for their system. and since they are a software only company (not "and hardware too!" like mac is) they make their OS compatible with pretty much any standard hardware, and have a HAL and driver layer that allows them to interface with most non standard hardware as well.

plus there is all the business apps, such as AD, exchange etc. that interface directly with windows. mac has nothing that comares.

in short, windows dominates becuase it is supirior in many, many ways. it is a better system. don't get me wrong, i am not a "windows fanboy" and if you show me a better system i will jump ship in a heartbeat, but for now windows rules, and rules for a reason.

Tags: Add Tags