1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Might have to reduce my folding :(

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by andyjh, 30 Aug 2011.

1. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

I'm running the spec in my sig, which pulls about 200w from the wall

I run this night on 24 hrs a day and in the space of 1 month I used 1493 kWh

Normally I pay £20 DD for my leccy, and they now estimate it's going to cost me £48 per month in leccy. I can afford it but bills could be tight.

Could mean I only run it for 8 hrs per day to reduce usage :(

Does that seem right though?

200w would be 1 Unit every 5 hrs

That means 4.8 units per day. Running f@h for 35 days (dates between my readings) means I only use 168 units (meaning I've spent 1325 units on other leccy) :idea::idea:

I know heat generates more electricity. Does the dishwasher really use that much?!

2. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

That only happens in power plants. Everywhere else, heat generates more electricity consumption.

When you can leave your PC to fold for a few hours uninterrupted, you could run the clients with the -oneunit flag. This way, when they're done, your system should idle and consume a lot less power. You could also run a script that will turn off your computer after the F@H client exists.

3. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

If you could upgrade to a Sandy Bridge system you would save electricity and produce a lot more points i.e. a typical 2600K rig @ 4.5 GHz uses 170Watts and will produce 43K PPD (Linux running -bigadv). Even running standard SMP WUs for 8 hours would nett about 8.5K PPD.

4. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

Yep, it doesn't seem right though. I know I use the washing machine, iron etc for my clothes but I only really use them once or twice a week. I didn't think that would cost me 1300 (ppm) in electricity :D

5. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

168 units at 14p/unit = £23.52 so your increase seems accurate.

Things that use a lot of electricity - dishwasher, microwave, iron - are rarely on for more than 1h per week. Once you start multiplying by 24 x 7 the numbers get much bigger.

Your figure of 1325 units every 35 days would put your bills way over £20 per month. I'm guessing your electricity supplier knows what it is doing, so suspect that figure is not correct.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2011
  6. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

You guys have summer there, have you been running aircon? This can use boatloads of power. Other power consuming devices- toaster, kettle 2400w, usually only run for short periods, the TV anywhere from 100w an hour to 400w depending on type and size. Washing machines and dishwashers can pull a bit of power depending if they use external hot water or an internal element, but are usually not run much so would not contribute too much to the large amounts of units. Does your computer monitor stay on? This again can draw as much as the computer if left on, depending on size and type.

Do you guys get bills every 35 days? We get them every 3 months over here, not as often but much bigger:waah:

7. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Hah! I think it has been the coolest summer since records began - certainly below average. I've had a quick hour of heating on some evenings.

8. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Well, if its been that cool, have you been using heating:hehe: Most heaters use between 1000-1200w on low settings and 2000-2400w an hour on high settings.

I thought all you fellas were saying how hot it was over there, and how you all had to shut down your farms cause it was getting too hot and having to back off overclocks:confused:
    Crazy Brits:D

9. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

Summer here lasts about 2 weeks :)

10. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

11. andyjh

andyjh The Underdog

No clue they are estimating my bill at that rate

Doesn't seem right however

16/02/11
    86174 (Actual)

23/08/11
    87667 (Actual)

1493kWh (used)

Cost split (first 362 @ 16.510p = £59.77 - next 1131 at 13.050p = £147.60)
    Cost of electricity used this period £207.37
    Vat @ 5% on 207.37 (£10.36)

Total electricity charges used this period £217.73

so 220 in 6 months

You kidding, my summer in England costs of rain and more rain lol.

I tend to use the washing machine / dishwasher quite often, other than that just the usual things. I have been using my oven but think I was using the wrong part so it was generating more power consumption

My bills are every 6 months or something but I haven't had my readings done very much of late

12. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Get a proper meter reading and then figure out how much you really owe.
    Then you can calculate how much you use and try and get those costs down by checking other suppliers.