1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC speaker interest...? Teaser...

Discussion in 'General' started by Boscoe, 4 Mar 2012.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Just want honest opinions on whether the PC enthusiast would be interested in an idea of mine.

Basically a year or so ago I offered to make custom speakers, I didn't get much interest probably because the price was too high. I have been really busy up till now and kinda still am but whatever! So I'm thinking in making just one model (possibly two) of speaker instead of a custom one to see if it would have any interest due to the customer being able to see what they will get exactly and lead time is near nil. So anyway I think pair of little speakers 180mm high 120mm wide and 140mm deep (these are slightly flexible. An amp would still be needed along with cables but nothing else. They are able to emit a little bass that would make them acceptable for use without a sub. A sub could be a possibility. Priced at about £80-100. and made out of real solid oak, this would be a high quality product.

What do you think

Last edited: 31 Mar 2012
    Jake123456 likes this.
  2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

They sound really nice, especially for people who already have an amp! Your price is good too. :)

As for bass, it would be much more useful if you could make a matching sub too, depending on the premium.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Warranty? After sales service? Refund policy? If you're gonna sell something.. These are the things that wil matter to a lot of people. Me included.

4. DanSonley

DanSonley What's a Dremel?

if I hadn't just bought a set of speakers i would be interested, they sound nice.

5. Boscoe

Yes they will be! By no means will they be half asked I'm just not that sort of person - a pure perfectionist!

These will be of a fantastic sound quality too. Purely for the fact they are full range and feature zero disgusting passive crossovers they would most probably be the best sounding most accurate speakers many of the members here and vast majority of the public would of heard.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

Yum!
    Can you give us an idea on the components you'll be using? :)

7. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

This I'm afraid.

I have a nice little vintage Marantz that could use a nice small set of speakers, but, if the worst happens, I need to know that it's not just "some bloke" that will tell me to go jump, but someone who will look after his obligations, and back the "bespoke" aspect of this service with some backup. I don't expect a full factory experience such as I would from, say, Logitech, but I do want an express written guarantee that, barring "home=dev/null" moments on my end, if things go pear shaped, I have recourse.

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I could be interested in the semi-near future.

I'm not quite ready to be shopping yet. But I was looking to get something to run as 2.0 off my onkyo 608.

9. Boscoe

I appreciate the positive feedback. The components I will be using are simple I don't like over complex things and this is the reason they will sound good. I really don't want to undermine the design of them and as a lot of work will be going into them, refining them. They will most likely feature a single full range driver in a ported box. No crossover means no distorted boomy bass, no midrange distortion, crossover distortion or delay or phase issues.

For this reason there's really not a lot to go wrong and so it's difficult for me to advise you on a warranty because as long as the user dosent mistreat them they should last a very long time. In the very rare chance of a failure due to a manufacture defect and I can examine them to make sure of this then I'm sure repairing free of charge wouldn't be a problem.

10. MonkeyBoss

MonkeyBoss What's a Dremel?

got any example pictures of what they might look like? or any speakers you have made in the past?

11. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I may well be interested at some point, but looking to get a TV first. Sample drawings would be nice though.

12. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I was very tempted to make the same thing myself, albeit with some higher-end car speakers, you may scoff but it'd simplify things a fair bit for me. I ended up foregoing that option because I came across some cast aluminum boat speaker pods, and then realised I had no need for more speakers.(what a sad realisation) I'm sure some will buy them though, I was rather tempted to do it all.

13. Boscoe

I have a few pics of a very latest project but like I said I have been really busy with work and assignments the past year so have only had time to do a little design work.

These pictures are of some two way floor standers I'm thinking of doing they are just in mdf to trial the box and speaker placement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Hmmm tasty...Might be interested..

15. KidMod-Southpaw

You have my interest, I would be fantastic if you made subs too though! :)

16. Boscoe

Fantastic, it may be a while till prototypes though shipping from Hong Kong in my experience takes ages!

I'll have a look at subs...

17. KidMod-Southpaw

Chinese components? Tell me more please. :blah:

18. Boscoe

What about them?!

19. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Is that £80-£100 per speaker or for a set of two?

Please tell me it's for two and you have a bargain right there...

20. Boscoe

Its two!