1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Really low flow rate.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BreaK-, 14 May 2011.

1. BreaK-

BreaK- What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, just finished my first watercooled build and I'm suffering with low flow rates. Specs as follows in loop order.

Res - EK Spin Bay
    Pump - Laing D5 Pump
    Rad - Phobya G-Changer Rad
    GPU - EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX580
    CPU - EK HF Supreme Full Nickle
    Res.

1/2" OD 3/8" ID Primochill Tubing

The D5 has variable speeds, at the minute its on full, and the spin indicator is hardly moving. If I turn it down to the slowest speed, the flow indicator stops all together. I'm aware that my loop is quite big, and there are 3 90° fittings linking the tubing together, but surely the flow should be better than this?! The res is at the highest point in my loop, feeding down to the pump.

Here's a little video showing my rig and the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoqH_xgK_VY

ATM idle temps are around 30°
    Load temps rarely go above 40° - 45°

I'm aware these temps are fine, and spin indicators are gimmicky, but I'd like to know if all the WC parts are in full working order. I've heard the D5 should push water round like a bullet... and well... it's not.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

2. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

It was very difficult to tell from your video, but is your reservoir full to the brim?

It should really look like this. (with regard to water levels in the reservoir at all times)

TSB

Last edited: 15 May 2011
  3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

from your temps i don't think you really have a flow problem. if you did they would be higher. more likely in my opinion is the spinner is sticking.
    i'm assuming you chose clear because you don't want something colored in, but draining it a tiny bit and dropping in a bit of color will show what its up to pretty effectively.

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Looking at the temps I would agree with this. Especially when looking at the vid the spinner is a bit stuttery.

5. BreaK-

BreaK- What's a Dremel?

Yeah I't runs the same when its al that level. I've filled it up more to see if it would make a difference. It didnt....

If you see on the video, when the water comes up past the spinner, theres a little channel which runs along the top of the res...the water flow on mine isnt even making it to the other side of the res. It gets about half way and stops.

There are a few really small bubbles coming through the loop, the water flow is that slow that they dont even get pushed along the tube. They just stay put. I have to tap the tube to get them to move, and when they do they crawl along. 99% of the air is out btw.

Im thinking of buying another pump and slotting it in the loop. So 2 pumps for 1 loop. I've heard dual loops dont offer a huge advantage over single loops, especially when im not cooling Ram or Chipsets. Plus it may be difficult to fit another rad in the case. Is it possible to run 2 pumps in 1 loop? Id rather have 2 pumps running on the lowest settings than 1 on the highest.

I'm properly stumped by this....Cheers guys!

Last edited: 16 May 2011
  6. bulldogjeff

Before buying a new pump, strip the system down and make sure there's no blockages. . You can check that the pumps ok by using a hose with one end in a bucket/sink to make sure it's working as it should.

7. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Jeff, not being overly familiar with the EK spin res .. does it have an in and an out port .. ? it may react differently to switching tubes over?

8. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

<< has in my haste mis-plumbed a D5 vario and though ARGGG after all this my pumps knackered .. until I realised my error ops..:rolleyes:

9. bulldogjeff

Good point, it's worth checking.

Oh dear...lol

What I did forget to add to the last post was that some times the bubbles need a little tap to help them on their way.

10. BreaK-

BreaK- What's a Dremel?

Yeah the EK Res has 1 in port and a choice of 3 out ports. What do you mean by switching tubes over?

I'll have a go at testing the pump tomorrow, its definately plumbed right at the minute. I've googled my EVGA Hydro Copper 580GTX and it is renouned for being highly restrictive like you said. Could this be the problem? I was thinking of either making 2 loops OR using 2 pumps on 1 loop. What would the best solution be if this were the case?

Thanks again for all your advice. :D

11. BreaK-

BreaK- What's a Dremel?

Bump :(.