1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Braid PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 13 Apr 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/04/13/braid-pc-review/1

Braid has finally made the jump to PC and we're all jumping for joy. If you don't have an Xbox 360 and missed out on one of the best games of last year then now's your chance to get hold of the superior PC version. Check out our thoughts on this time-travelling platformer within

:jawdrop:

2. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

more flaws, no improvements, took almost a year to get ported.

remind me how this is "superior" again? :D

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's on PC?

You can play it on your laptop on the train?

4. clumsy_culhane

clumsy_culhane Minimodder

Wonder if this could be ported to the iPod touch/iPhone.. that would be so awesome. As I dont have an xbox, it looks like I will be getting this having not experianced this original version :D

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

But you can get a 360 laptop!

6. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Think I'll get this soon-ish to try out while I'm working away from home. :)

There's a few typos in there too.

needs a 'that' in there.

Should that not be 'compounding'? :)

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

my thoughts exactly.

this game is fantastic (first time experience due to lack of owning xbox360) feels like a time warp version of Mario

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Slight problem with this is that it doesn't run smoothly on the Intel graphics that my laptop has which limits train-ability. (I tried, it did run but wasn't smooth)

Still, I do rather like the look of this and will probably pick it up.

9. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Hmmm directX on iPhone or Ipod? I doubt... Unless you can wait another 1 year for the port.

Anyawa, the game is clever and it is really good, but ist not fantastic. I think it lacks some action tbh... The fourth world is driving me nuts!

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I didn't really like it at all. But oddly enough I can't describe what I didn't like. It just didn't appeal to me I guess.

11. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

"Compounding the problem is the lack of certain features which PC players will certainly expect – like being able to alter the controls, resolution or graphics. All you can do is change the screen size."

Mind explaining that part a bit? So I can't play fullscreen?

12. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i think it means you can play fullscreen, but not full res. it just stretches whatever its default resolution is to whatever size you make the window.

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow thats a pretty friendly score, the game doesnt look that great all considering and as stated something like that to take that long to get ported ehh, from other reviews of the game it looks pretty bland but I guess to each their own, I think this game is more along the lines of a 7 personally.

14. SubtleOne

SubtleOne What's a Dremel?

It is worth mentioning that the ReadMe states:

-universe universe_name : Run someone's modifications that have been previously installed (changes to levels, graphics, etc). Instructions on how to create mods will be posted separately.

-editor : Enable the in-game editor. If you use this command-line option, pressing F11 will open the editor to the level you are currently playing.

So I'm guessing that some changes may be forthcoming, no?

15. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I think it DESERVES that score, after all it's a indie game! Its beautifull and very clever. Much better than World of Goo for example. But if it's compared to games like Men of War or DoW II I think it can barely get a 7.

16. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I gave it a thoroughly good play yesterday: traveresed all the worlds and completed 2, 3 and 4 in about three and a half hours. It is a very good game, but I think why its so good is far more to do with the presentation than the gameplay. It's absorbing and enchanting, but split away the brilliant atmosphere and the gameplay itself isn't all that revolutionary if you ask me. It's more the culmination of a lot of good ideas in a pleasing setting.

If this came out on the Megadrive 15 years ago, it would be hailed as a timeless classic. Now, I dunno, it just feels a little bit too retro to make it fresh. The gameplay, minus the time travel stuff, is just so classically Mario (even down to the plants in the tubes) it can sometimes feel just a little stale in my brutally honest opinion. It was probably done this way on purpose, but I wish the designer had tried to make the feel of the game as fresh and exciting as the look.

That said, the first time I realised
    the parts of the level that are immune from time are also immune the the speed of time travel, allowing you to warp across the level at lightening speed
    was a great "huzzah!" moment.

17. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I'm in two minds about this game. On the one hand I got tired of the gameplay/puzzles (a couple had me stuck for too long), but on the other the presentation was flawless. It was a game that I would have preferred to be able to breeze through, so that I could learn everything about the world immediately, rather than get stuck in parts. I don't feel like I can fault games on difficulty however, as that is very subjective. Ultimately, tying the gameplay itself with themes from the story alleviates most of my misgivings. I give Braid a 9/10. It is worth noting that I had no crashes nor performance issues though.

"Compounding the problem is the lack of certain features which PC players will certainly expect – like being able to alter the controls, resolution or graphics. All you can do is change the screen size."

Odd that you should mention this after your comments on World of Goo being fixed at 800*600. The game looked very good to me, but then I was playing on a laptop of only 1366*768.

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I finished this last night, and I have to say, I completely and utterly revoke my previous statements on the game: it's absolutely brilliant and well deserved its 10/10 score on the 360 original. I know I complained about the simplistic, throw-back core gameplay, but now I've finished it, now I understand it, it all makes perfect sense. It's an experience that will stay with me for a very long time and the final level has to be one of the single greatest crescendo moments ever created in a game. I kind of wish I'd played it from the start, no hype or anything, but even with the hype and the small nuggets I picked up from the Internet, it didn't prepare me and I'm very glad because of it. I don't think I've played a game that felt as perfectly complete in every sense in a very very long time. Everything in the game is there for a reason (or there deliberately not to have a reason), and when the final piece of the jigsaw (pun intended) falls into place, it's well, well worth it. Definite 10/10 score from me, best £10 I ever spent on a game.

Tags: Add Tags