1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ergo reinvents the netbook with the GoNote GNT10

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Aug 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

What a ridiculous idea. it's a step backwards- I didn't think you could make a netbook worse but these clowns seem to have managed it.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Erm... Okay...

For starters, not having Google Play restricts you to side-loading apps or third-party app stores, which aren't always going to have the same selection of apps available.

Mobile office suites will never be as capable as their desktop counterparts; I doubt they'd even compare to the functionality in OpenOffice or Libre Office.

I'd expect to be able to use Flash on my laptop/netbook - the usual issues of it not being designed for touch-screen use do not apply when you have a trackpad - and Android is no longer supported by Adobe.

A tablet OS will simply not work in a device with a keyboard and mouse. Have you ever tried Android x86? It's... awkward, to say the least... It might work in an embedded form factor, such as a set-top box, or in a touch-centric device, but it isn't really designed for use with a keyboard & mouse.

Why not just stick Linux on the damn thing and have an OS/interface which was designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse, and has a massive suite of applications available for the ARMv7 instruction set?

Finally, it's a netbook. You'd be better off spending that £149 on a well-built second-hand laptop - I certainly was.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

utterly pointless and hardly an original idea, more like a failed attempt at a cheap knock off of the Asus tablets.

5. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Why oh why design it so badly? Does it take much imagination to make the screen fold back all the way round and disable the keyboard at the same time plus add a capacitive screen? Ok it might add £20 to the price but its a lot more functional. It wouldn't be a tablet for one handed use but it would be a lot better.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Resistive 'Multi-touch (2 finger!) screen? 1024x600 resolution screen? Terrible battery life? Crippled OS? Chunky-monkey form factor? Crazy high price for the spec?

Nice! This machine has everything we could never want!

7. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

It they had just made a tablet +kb/dock, that would have made sense. Asus has had good success with that. But having an Android tab you can't actually use as a tab?