1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding have anyone ever modded a drinking water chiller ???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dubdvd, 29 Jun 2005.

1. dubdvd

dubdvd What's a Dremel?

hi all
    ok i got my hands on a waterchiller its one of the drinking water ones which is a countertop one which means its compact as far as these things go ..here is the specs and size
    Water Logic
    Model WLMCW950
    30cm wide
    50cm high
    44 cc deep (allow a bit more where input pipe is)
    It runs off a regular socket, 10A fuse.
    Compressor 132W, Cooler 13W and UV filter 8W. It needs to be plumbed into water supply but comes with standard fittings. It holds about 2L at a time.

Im doing a major project with my U2-UFO case and im planning on putting this into the case after striping it down to the bare components ...what i wondering is has anybody out there done any mods on these kinda waterchillers and what kinda temp could i expect to get from having a FX55 AND 2 X 6800GT'S and maybe the chipset aswell depending on what the temps are like ...at the moment im using BIE3 rad in push and pull will this be any better ..i know that ill have to use neopane and so on as if it was a mach2 or a vapochill set-up as ill expect some condensation...
    Any help here would be great thanks in advance lads

2. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Watercooling permanently plugged into the water mains :D :rock:

3. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

Fews things;
    My experience of these things is that they cool the water in the res and not particullary fast. Try running one for ages - that water eventually just passes though at the same temp as intering.
    You going to get through lots of water... not so good if you're on a meter.
    Over time your water blocks are going to get covered in limescale and other deposites - you could try using a filter like you get on some 'drinking' tap supplies.
    Maybe if you intergrated the chilling res in to the WC loop then you might get some lower temps...

4. dubdvd

dubdvd What's a Dremel?

the plan was not to run it from the water tap i would be modding it with a res and a pump on a watercooling set-up without using a rad or fans the piont is to strip it down and the area of water inside that is being chilled will run through the loop ...there wont be any out side water coming into the loop ..the water in the chiller which i think it holds 2 lts with have waterwetter and it will be distilled water ...my question was kinda will there be to much heat dumped into the water for it to keep it at low temps ...it would be left on for most of the time seems it will have to be cold as soon as the system boots up ...has anyone here ever used one of these in this way ?????thanks for your input so far

5. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

I've thought about this a fair deal as well. I think you'd need to look at it's cooling capacity in watts, versus the heat output of the processor in watts. You could probably boost its cooling power by improving the fans on the water cooler - if it even has any. There's a good chance it will be relying on convection cooling of its radiator as most water cooler owners don't want their unit sounding like a mini hurricane on their kitchen counter.

You could also reduce the amount of heat sent to the unit by using a standard WC rad after the processor... unless the chiller is bringing the water temperature down below ambient, in which case a radiator would add heat. And if the water temperature gets below ambient you'll have to think about insulation around the CPU to stop condensation. Probably not to the same degree as phase change users, but a little nonetheless.

6. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

D'oh. :wallbash: I should :read: before posting... you already thought of that!

7. maeterlinck

OK gotcha.

Well crudely you can work this out.

Lets assume that the entire WC loops raises the temperature of the water 5degC and your pump moves 6litres/min. This means that the res will be recycled every 20seconds. So the system needs to be able to lower the standing temperature by 5degC every 30seconds. I can't remember the equations for this off hand but I can look at my physics books when I'm home at the weekend, or google thermodynamics.

A simple test could be to heat some water to, say 50degC and time how long the cooler takes to cool it. Take a reading every 10-30seconds and plot the results - this will give you a fair idea of it's ability at a certian temp.

HTH

8. dubdvd

dubdvd What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your advice so far lads ..im picking this up today so ill have more of an idea of whats under the hood ...i was on two minds about buying this but a guy on my home forum www.boards.ie is selling it for 70 euro it was beening used in his chemist shop ...so for 70 euro which is about 50 gbp ..i said to myself what the hell ive treid phase changing with a vapochill and found it to be a hassle with most of the motherboards i had not being compatible ..then i thought about using TEC's on the both cards and the cpu but i dont have the funds to do it at the moment plus i know its almost immpossible to get pletiers on the dangerblocks im using ..they will fit alright but not with the DFI SLI NF4 D mobo the gap between the pci-e slots is way to tight ...so maybe this might work ?????as i said i might have to have the chiller on 24/7 or at least acouple of hours before i boot up ...
    but i had an idea that i could run my system from boot up on my normal WCing loop and startup the chiller at the same time and when the chiller starts to lower the temp i could knock of the fans on my WCing rad and then let the chiller take over ...maybe set the fan software on the mobo kill the fans completely when the temps get to a certain temp ?????
    anyhow ill know more later today when i pick it up ..plus the main thing will be "will it fit in my U2-UFO case ..as im just about to start project BLACK BOX .. :dremel: :rock:

9. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

someone has turned a water chiller into a cpu cooler already with great results over at the OC forums. Link

10. thydzik

thydzik What's a Dremel?

would be a damn cool project

11. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

I think procooling.com forums ph, bigben or joe has done it..

12. dubdvd

dubdvd What's a Dremel?

Ok then project BLACK BOX is about to get underway ..i got my uv waterchiller today its quiet big and it ways a ton "20kg the guy who sold it to me said " with that weight and the weight of the U2-UFO fully packed out with goodies this will be one heavy mother ....anyhow here is some pics of it so you can get an idea of what im talking about ...it is more or less a phase changing watercooling unit ..my idea is to strip the whole lot down and see if i can get it into the U2-UFO the compressor will fit "just about " and i could rig up the front lcd panels into the front of my case or even better if i could get my matric orbital to display the temp of the compressor and water it would be even better the biggest part of the unit is the water res its almost the full size of the unit but if i was able to cut it down to size i might get it in the case aswell ...im taking the hard drive bay out completly to make some more room but tbh its a bit tight with the dvd drive bay backing up onto it so out it goes
    heres some pics
    [​IMG]

Here is the specs sheet on the compressor anybody out there have any idea what temps i can expect to get from the likes of this ???????
    [​IMG]

im not sure what gas is in the compressor and is it any good for what i want it for remember the idea is to leave my BIE3 in there and let the lot start up together but when the water temp gets to we say 20c have the software shut down the fans and let the waterchiller kick in and take over
    more pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Jul 2005
  13. dubdvd

dubdvd What's a Dremel?

here is a link from the makers website explaining what goes on inside of this baby ...im kinda getting lost here already :idea: only joking but im going to be needing some help with this one ...i like what it says on the pdf sheet it has the temps for the cold water as 5c so i'd say even with dumping alot of heat from my FX55 AND DUAL 6800GT'S ill still beat my watercooling temps not bad for 70 euro and theres a hot water output aswell which means i can have a cup of tea while im overclocking the bejayus out of my rig
    http://www.waterlogic.com/live/pdf/diagram.pdf

http://www.waterlogic.com/cgi-bin/waterlogic.cgi?Command=ShowProduct&db_pid=2

Last edited: 1 Jul 2005
  14. maeterlinck

looks good. I'd be tempted to leave the UV filter as that would probably help with keeping the system nice and clean.
    loving the companies diagram of the system though!

15. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

remove the uv filter and replace the internal pump and the fan with some more powerfull ones :D

16. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

I'd think about increasing the temp sensor threshold on the compressor unit to 0 which will make the compressor run full tilt all the time, you'll get a little bit extra out of what is actually quite a weak compressor that way, although it will run hotter and you may need an extra fan in there which it doesnt look like theres space for. Check some of the articles over at www.extreme-cooling.org/ec for a bit more on tearing apart compressors, theres also...damn dont have the link handy, see if i can find it later.

17. dubdvd

dubdvd What's a Dremel?

thanks i never thought of that i was thinking that seems the compressor is only 132 watts that the fx55 will dump at least 120 maybe 130 watts if overclocked back into the loop so my idea now is to maybe run the waterchiller in the same loop as my normal watercooling ...if i could run the pump--- rad---- components ----chiller... that way the water being dumped into the chiller will have already soaked up a ;ot of the heat already and then the temps going into the chiller will be about 30 c so the chiller should be able to drop them down even more before they run back through the pump --rad ...
    does this make any sense ????????