1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Which SSD should I get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by modfx, 9 Apr 2012.

1. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Heylo

Wondered if people who know about SSD's would please be willing to offer their two cents on a wee dilemma.

I'm ordering an SSD today as my OS drive needs to be RMA'd and I might as well make the upgrade while I'm at it.

I was thinking along the lines of a 120Gb as I only need it for my OS and a few games as I'll be using the spinpoint for storage once the replacement turns up.

Currently thinking of either :

this

this

this

or

this

Will they work ok with my board?

If so, which should I go for?

Thanks alot for any help :)

2. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

3. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

Not able to comment on the drives you have, but I'm very happy with the 120GB Corsair Force 3 that I've bought. Makes the machine much faster and much easier to use.

This one

Hope you enjoy the SSD revolution.
    Enterobsidian

4. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

I'm leaning heavily towards the crucial m4. Thing is, how will it perform on my board as it's a SATA III drive?

5. enterobsidian

My F3 just acts like a sata 2 SSD on legacy connections. Haven't had any problems on it so far, just plugged it and away I went.

Enterobsidian

6. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I was just about to say that you'll be bottlenecked by the ICH10 -- a SSD will still make everything a hell of a lot snappier, though.

You can always pick up a SATA 3 controller and plug it into a PCIe slot.

7. enterobsidian

If you hang around for long enough, someone like Pocketdemon will be along to answer all your questions. I can only give you my experiences with my Force 3 setup.

Hope you enjoy what ever SSD you purchase, quite possibly the best modification I have made to my machine.

Hope this helps
    Enterobsidian

8. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Sounds like an idea :)

@ enterobsidian: I'll hold off buying till tomorrow and hopefully he'll see this thread by then. Been told that many times and can't wait to see it myself :D

Last edited: 10 Apr 2012
  9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yea.. it 's cheaper to get a Motherboard + new CPU, than a SATA 3 controller that ACTUALLY goes to SATA 3 speed (usually they are on PCI-E 4x).

If you don't have a SATA 3 controller, than fear not, you'll still take full advantage of your SSD.
    It will peek your SATA 2 controller specs, and be significantly faster than your HDD. Pretty much, the only time you would pass SATA 2 performance, and take advantage of your SATA 3 controller, is when you do large file (1 or few) transfers. But on every day files, like pretty much all system files, programs (games will depend on texture size and how the game is formed), won't reach the max speed of your SATA 3 controller.

If you look at benchmarks, let say this one here (Crucial M4 256GB SATA-3 review by SSD Review http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/crucial-m4-256gb-sata-3-ssd-review-atto-and-as-ssd-benchmarks/)
    [​IMG]
    The 4K and 4K-64 is what you use the most. "Seq" benchmark is when, you, move a large file size, such as a 1080p movie file. The "4K" area is where SSD's need to improve performance, but no one is really worried about it, as it's MUCH faster than an HDD on both read and write, and what people want right not is not speed, but cheaper SSD's per GB, all by having descent size to get a system started for demanding users, for a 128GB or even better 256GB drives.

10. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Ordered a crucial m4 from scan, arrives Thursday morning :D

Thanks guys.

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

:thumb:Correct decision is correct.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Agreed. I'm not so confident in the Sandforce drives after the week I've had. The M4 was on my list, but went with a Samsung 830 in the end.... after returning the Vertex 3s.

13. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

The M4 has certainly been a solid drive for me. I think you'll be very happy with it.

14. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

i had a c300 then the m4 no bother at all, updating firmware easy to you wont regret it

15. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

I'm really looking forward to Thursday, People from far away lands (the interwebs) have dazzled me with tales of the wondrous acts performed by these so called SSD's and I'm gleefully anticipating finally getting my hands on one.

Not only that, After my THIRD dead R.A.T 7 I've given up RMAing them and picked up a Corsair K90 while I was getting the HDD (be interesting to see what those extra buttons can do for my smartcasting in LoL, wanted to do it with the RAT but didnt see the point of mapping just one or two skills) along with a new mousemat as my Exactmat is wearing out(never really liked it anyway).

To top it off, I'm due a minor tax rebate in a couple of weeks so it's Dell U2412M time and if there's any cash left after, I might up my memory to 12Gb.

It's gonna be a good month :clap::clap: