1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education What model are you building?

Discussion in 'General' started by KayinBlack, 14 Dec 2012.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Seeing as apparently there are a lot of us doing scale models, I thought I'd start us off, with a pic from my Master Grade Hi-Nu Gundam build.

[​IMG]

That is a 1:100 scale model, and that figure is roughly the size of a dime. Roughly.

It took me longer to find the color scheme for Amuro's space suit from Char's Counterattack than it did to paint him. The rest of the suit's inner frame will feature a lot of gold (like the Banshee's psychoframe) as well as some other color details instead of just a panel lining like most people's frames. I really enjoy the little details.

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

NICE!
    What are you using to paint with?

3. KayinBlack

Testor's enamels for a lot of exterior stuff, but a fair bit is gel pens and Sharpies, actually. Plenty of practice in making them lay down even coats. Panel lining is either Sakura pens or mechanical pencil.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Cool!
    Never thought of Gel Pens before, TBH... worth a try perhaps.

5. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I was into painting gundam models awhile back think i had some 1:100 models, really wanted a massive one but couldn't afford one :(

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Ive had this lurking in the cupboard for a little while now, my excuse has been not having the right paint colours. Also thinking the best way to paint the body would be spray it.

[​IMG]

7. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

I'm doing one of these at the mo, but i havent touched it in about a month.

hopefully over christmas i'll get back into it

[​IMG]

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I really need to get a few good models over christmas, I've been meaning to get back in to stuff like this for quite a while. N00B question, can anyone recommend the best company for classic cars? I'm talking things like Lincolns and old Cadilacs here. Always been a Ferrari nut too, I take it Tamiya are my best bet there? I'll be deciding on scale later, just want to weigh up my options. :)

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Tamiya are exceptionally good, their Spray cans have some of the best paint formula i have worked with.

10. KidMod-Southpaw

Brill, I'm going to be doing a lot of shopping over the next few weeks for myself. From what I've recently heard around here, Tamiya prices are pretty good too. Be nice to have one of these to focus on for a while along with 2 more keyboards to mod. Going to be a fun holiday.

Edit: Just been browsing the catalogues. Tamiya's 1:24 series defintely cover most of what I want to build- that being a selection of Ferrari's and rally models. Any suggestions for a company for classic cars mentioned in my previous post? :)

Last edited: 14 Dec 2012
  11. KayinBlack

Revell is the best for classics. Older kits have more detail, as well-though those old kits really need stuff like photo etch parts under the hood to get the most out of them. Revell isn't known for including it-you'll have to do a lot of searching.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I've been looking high and low for Saab kits, would love a 99 and 900 turbo's but they don't exist to my knowledge which would require a custom build...

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

putting the finishing touches on this rebuild

[​IMG]

14. Ferino

Ferino Minimodder

Some of these gundam models look awesome, maybe another hobby that needs to be reclaimed from the attic! Any good sites for sourcing the gundam stuff in the uk?

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Om nom nom.

One of my favourite cars of all time :baby:

16. KidMod-Southpaw

Went trawling wigan and other places today for model shops. There were loads years ago, suffice to say, there are none at all now. It's a damn shame, it's going to make getting stuff a lot harder. Luckily, Modelzone has an ok choice of Tamiya paint available. Anyway, I've settled on these to get started on over the holiday, wanted to do a couple of rally models for ages:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nice, i still have this to build, all the parts are prepped and bagged, just need to find a decent day to spray it as its been too cold as of late.

[​IMG]

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ship it direct via HLJ.com, buying them in the uk is too expensive.

19. KidMod-Southpaw

Going to be a nice one gunsmith!

Just ordering my paints for the Celica, forgot how expensive this was...

20. KayinBlack

http://plamo.co.uk/store/

Guy on gundam-eclipse.net runs it, has his own line of acrylics, and they're REALLY well regarded. For you limeys, it ought to do well. I buy a LOT of plamo on eBay here, as I can get that GP01 for $25 on there right now.

I just got my Shin Musha gundam in, but it's gonna be SERIOUSLY customized, it's my next intended contest entry. I'll upload my Hi-Nu progress either tonight or tomorrow, I've got most all of the torso done (except the funnel bits and the fuel tanks) and the arms except for the shoulders. I'm concentrating on nub removal and general clean building, just gonna topcoat this when it's done. I like the aesthetics well enough that I'd just display it snapped and topcoated, though the inner frame is heavily painted-may do a half-on, half-off armor setup when I'm done.

Anyone know the best thing to cut complex shapes in thin styrene? I need to make a LOT of a specific shape, and I don't think lasercutting is an option (.010 or .015 styrene.) I'm doing my legwork on a lot of the Shin Musha before I start the build.