bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 3rd Feb 2013, 00:48   #1
Awoken
Gazing at the stars

Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.
Buying a car without service history

Has anyone bought a car without service history in the UK? What tips would you offer?

I've just been to see a mint 2006 Ford Mondeo Edge. Fantastic car (checked very thoroughly for all the usual + full AA HPI Check), good price but no service history and only one recent MOT (one advisory for a nail in the tire which was fixed). I had a good drive around, checked under all the upolstory and had a good nose about in the engine. It was sweet to drive and everything was in good shape (Vin numbers match, no sign of spray repair, clean HPI, no moisture in oil tank, battery contacts have been well kept, brakes are progressive when stopping suddenly and don't screach or veer, no corrosion or signs of welding, etc). The only dark cloud is the lack of service history and older MOT certificates but as you can buy prestamped service books on ebay (some can be made to order!) I wasn't put off but I wondered what experiences other people have had?
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 00:50   #2
Awoken
Gazing at the stars

Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.Awoken is definitely a rep cheat.
Just to clear things up I do not intend to buy a fake book from ebay but I do plan on calling up the previous owner and trying to track down the service history of the car. I also plan to buy a new service history book from my local for dealership.
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 00:57   #3
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
A good service history is nice but it isn't the be all and end all.

I bought a car with a comprehensive service history and a lot of reciepts and the computer failed 3 months later costing me nearly 600.

If you have a mechanic that looks after your cars, take it to them and have them check it out if possible, far better than a load of paperwork in my eyes.
CrapBag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 01:02   #4
Landy_Ed
Ultramodder

Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.
You can get the MOT history & mileage from DVLA. Like everything else, it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt but it's a place to start.
Landy_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 02:41   #5
craigp84
Multimodder

craigp84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigp84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigp84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigp84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Given you've checked the basics and they're sound, a lack of service history wouldn't bother me. The bottom line is even with a "1 lady owner, full main dealer service history", the turbo / a.n. other expensive part could go bang tomorrow. If it drives well just now with no niggles, it's probably good enough.

IIRC edge is the base model loved by rental companies? It has a *hellishly* uncomfortable drivers seat (& likely the other seats too!)
craigp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 03:24   #6
TheBlackSwordsMan
Moto: Never Justify A Fake Mustache

TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.TheBlackSwordsMan is definitely a rep cheat.
Last time, I used Carfax.
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 08:05   #7
Awoken
Gazing at the stars

I had the Mondeo Silver 06 until a week ago when it met its end on the ice. The seats for both are the same (except the edge lacks height adjustment). I find it pretty comfortable and at 6' 5" that's a rare thing; most cars make me feel like i'm in a cartoon, with my legs bunched right up underneath the steering wheel and my spine curled slightly so that 50% of my vision isn't obscured by the roof line. I'm saving up for something more luxurious but in the mean time I'm constrained by the money I bled the insurance company for and a bit of cash I had left from last month. A good diesel boutmondeo should last about 200,000 miles if well looked after so it's my go to car because it's cheap and there are plenty on sale to choose from. This one has alloys, AC, Auto wipers and lights, an auto dimming rear view mirror, heated front and rear windows, parking sensor and metallic silver paint which is still in good condition (a little work with a DA Polisher would make it look new). With 56,000 on the clock and little wear on the upholstery to match it's a decent car for the price.
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 08:08   #8
Awoken
Gazing at the stars

I'm going to have it looked at by a local garage who I take all my families cars to, if there's anything amiss they'll find it.
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 08:37   #9
NigelT
Multimodder

NigelT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For me it depends how much the car is being sold for. Up to 3-4k I'd still go for it without the history if it seems in good condition. More than that and I'd want the reassurance that some form of maintenance has been carried out. With a mondo though surely there must be a million to choose from so finding one with the righ spec and FSH shouldn't be too hard?
NigelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 10:01   #10
Awoken
Gazing at the stars

I haggled a good discount because of the lack of FSH and nothing I have seen so far has had such good mileage and general condition. The lack of FSH has been the only black cloud but I'm less worried having asked about and found many people who haven't had FSH with their own cars. I'm getting it to just run and run, I know with it being 6-7 years old already I'll very little for it when I'm done with it in 4-5 years time.
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 10:27   #11
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
Do Mondeos come with gaffer tape?
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 11:10   #12
BennieboyUK
CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.
I've only had one bad experience with buying a car without service history and I am sure it was an isolated one, but one that made me never buy a car without FSH again.

I can go into the long story if you like, but the end result was the car was right off.

I'd ask yourself the question, what is the risk that the money saving you'll get up front from the car not having history give you ROI on the potential of issues coming as a result of you not seeing the history. - My vote is no.
i7 980x @ 4.4Ghz|12GB Dominator GT 2133mhz|Rampage III|4gb GTX 680 Classified's SLI|830 256GB|Antec 1200w|PF1000|R3|U2711 Hyper-V 2012: Dell 1900 | Dual Xeon E5320 | 32GB DDR2 ECC | LSI @ Raid5 5.452tb WHS: 8gb HP N40L 10tb x8 WD 2tb RED's Raid 6+1 on SRCSASBB8I with BBU
BennieboyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 12:08   #13
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
If it inspects OK, that's pretty much all that matters.

It might not be possible, but do modern Fords have any in-built service information/tracking? I know with Minis and Audis the onboard systems keep a record of the servicing. It's also worth ringing the local dealers (and the supplying dealer if it still has its original numberplates) around the previous owner's address to see if it was serviced there - they will have records kept for it all.

Either way, I'd budget for a cambelt change (assuming it is a belted engine, I think all Ford's are atm) as a precaution and be happy.
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 12:50   #14
Awoken
Gazing at the stars

@law99: Cheeky! In the bad old days <2003 it seemed like that was a 'feature' on most. Since then things have been better.
@BennieBoyUK: That is what has been niggling in the back of my mind but I know what the expensive faults sound like and its going to get a thorough checking by a garage local to me to assuage my suspicions. Anything wrong and it'll get returned for repair/refund from the seller.
@Krikkit: It's a 2006 so it doesn't have a service light/computer. I'll do it the old fashioned way like you said. Cambelt is first on my list as I couldn't get a good look when I went to see it (there were none of the familiar worrying noises on the 20 mile test drive though which would indicate brake faults, clutch slip, injector failure or subframe problems).
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 12:57   #15
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
I wouldn't worry too much if everything looks sound - anything else other than the cambelt which can go bang isn't a service item anyway. Change the oil and belts, enjoy.
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 17:25   #16
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
Soz... couldn't resist. The old ones though... yeah. It was like Ford said "Oh and there is some gaffer tape with the spare wheel in case your bumper perishes"

Cambelts are one of those things... some people only do them on the mileage... my friend learnt the hard way not to do that when his van tore itself to pieces on the motorway. Normally x miles or 4 years ain't it?

Anyhow... you sound like you know what you are doing so don't worry.

A colleague recently bought a car from a dealer. A small fault appeared. Then a friend who is a mechanic went to start it and said "that's odd. No abs light came up". Turns out someone had taped over it... !!! Needless to say they took it back... garage shat themselves and did all the work required to get it up to scratch.

Honestly, by that point, I wouldn't have taken the car back unless I knew them personally. Which they did, so fair enough.
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 17:33   #17
GMC
Deaf-mute

GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Pretty much as Krikkit has said: If it checks out then the service history isn;t truly necessary. It would only tell you the historical maintenance schedule.
Make sure to check the coolant, oil, see that it's fresh(ish), take a look at the air filter - ought to be done for selling a car. If you can - take a look at the fuel filter as that's often skipped and gives a truer indication of the service intervals. check brakes etc.

You said that you had checked the vin numbers, make sure to check the reg matches up to all documentation. I bought my car which had experienced a couple of private plates and it was a pain to sort out the previous owner (and MOT station) laziness in not making sure that MOT certs had been reissued correctly.

Finally, if you can check the computer, make sure that you have a good look at the dashboard light cycle when you first turn the power on - there is usually a test cycle that would allow you to see if any bulbs have been disconnected - seen it happen for airbag warnings, check engine, etc. from some less then ethical sellers.

That said - all these things should be checked regardless of having a service history..

Also check for any recalls on the model and contact the manufacturer/local dealer to check their databases and see if that VIN number has been 'treated'
RIG: CM HAF922 | Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H | Phenom II X4 965 BE | Asus HD6850 | 12GB OCZ/Crucial PC12800 | 2 x 128GB CRUCIAL M4 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 2TB WD20EARX | XFX 650W PSU | 23" AOC e2343F | Creative T20 | Steelseries 7H | Logitech G9x
HTPC: Silverstone LC16S-MR | Blu-Ray | Asus P7P55D-E PRO | i5-760 | Sapphire HD6450 | 8GB Corsair Dominator | Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 | 2TB WD20EZRX | 4TB WD40EZRX | OCZ ZS 550W PSU
KEYBOARDS: HHKB PRO 2 | KBT PURE | WASD V1 ISO | Cherry G80-1800 WKL
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 22:19   #18
Awoken
Gazing at the stars

@GMC: I'll check the Haynes as I think it has the light cycle order. I really didn't think they'd just unplug the warning light, wow, I'll check that one!
No recalls on that model but quality control wasn't perfect and I know most of the stuff to look out for.
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 23:03   #19
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
went to see a Vauxhall corsa (3 cyclinder job) - cheap enough but something wasn't quite right , had that little ` alarm bell` in my head.

fsh on it , recent cam belt so the receipt said

still - walked away.

was still for sale when I saw it on the back of an RAC lorry - engine let go in traffic @ 40. and since I knew the rac bloke (he`s a mate) he reckoned if it had even had an oil change in its life he was the pope.
Old 4th Feb 2013, 00:19   #20
GMC
Deaf-mute

GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GMC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awoken View Post
@GMC: I'll check the Haynes as I think it has the light cycle order. I really didn't think they'd just unplug the warning light, wow, I'll check that one!
No recalls on that model but quality control wasn't perfect and I know most of the stuff to look out for.
It ought to give you something to check against. All warning lights should come on when the power is on before starting.
Obviously not switchable stuff like indicators, fogs etc though.
Always check dipstick and have a taste/sniff of the coolant. :what:
Also, make sure to check the annoying little things. The things that would wind you up after. Use all electric windows and mirrors, stereo on and off saving stations, Aircon, all vents move, take a cig light charger with an led and make sure they work, use key in all locks, check spare tyre, get the locking wheelnut key if it has locking nuts...
If you can test drive make sure under braking she stays more true and straight than veering wildly if not holding the wheel. :eek:

I always make a list of checks before going, but even then you'll forget something...
RIG: CM HAF922 | Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H | Phenom II X4 965 BE | Asus HD6850 | 12GB OCZ/Crucial PC12800 | 2 x 128GB CRUCIAL M4 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 | 2TB WD20EARX | XFX 650W PSU | 23" AOC e2343F | Creative T20 | Steelseries 7H | Logitech G9x
HTPC: Silverstone LC16S-MR | Blu-Ray | Asus P7P55D-E PRO | i5-760 | Sapphire HD6450 | 8GB Corsair Dominator | Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 | 2TB WD20EZRX | 4TB WD40EZRX | OCZ ZS 550W PSU
KEYBOARDS: HHKB PRO 2 | KBT PURE | WASD V1 ISO | Cherry G80-1800 WKL
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode