1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ buys Indilinx

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

why buy something your not going to use, other than cause possible problems for other business' in the future?

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

Of course the other question is whether other SSD manufacturers will continue to use Indilinx chips, thereby funding their competitor, or whether they will all switch to SandForce and others for their controllers?

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I suspect they will develop their own controller to their own specifications, otherwise it's a lost investment as OCZ's competitors won't use the controllers, and if OCZ don't use them, what's the point?

5. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Just $32 million? I wish I'd known they were going to sell out so cheaply! Then again, that was just cash mentioned. Not all the other perks involved. I'm looking at YOU, Steve Jobs! Worry.

6. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

i'm sure something interesting will come of this, lets hope they design a super fast controller. That would be a big boost to their own SSD business and others if they sell it on.

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

to make more money selling the tech to other SSD and what not companies.

8. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Could see lower SSD prices from OCZ if they are going to be making their own controllers... This could be interesting.

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

They've got to be planning their own controller. Makes no sense to outsource it to Sandforce if they can make a comparable one in-house. Indilux isn't exactly the hottest controller on the market, but as the article said, there are several patents OCZ wants. Could be they have something huge up their sleeve that they don't want to pay licensing for. Combined with them cutting off the RAM department, I'd expect something big out of them this year.

10. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

They might also have a pretty solid enterprise controller in the works, which any boffin knows has the potential to be a much bigger marketplace than selling drives dirt cheap and one at a time to the consumer.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This is massive, massive news and Tulatin has hit the nail on the head wrg to the server area. Vertical integration will make sure OCZ has all the components in place and its own schedule to make sure their SSDs work absolutely. It may not be the absolute fastest for enterprise but they need the QUALITY angle to override everything in order to sell.

There's also other factors with Sandforce I shouldn't comment on now. Either way, OCZ is in a prime position in the market - only Intel has a better one because it actually makes the Flash and FABs its own parts too.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Good or bad?

13. sWW

sWW Minimodder

I also think this will be interesting. I've been holding out for a noticeable price drop!

Tags: Add Tags