1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Why are energy saving bulbs so expensive now.

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 4 Jun 2015.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Many years back morrisons were selling energy saving bulbs 5 for a quid so we bought up a whole load and stored and used the over the years, now we have run out.

They never lasted the 6 years they were garaunteed for but that became irrelevant as we had so many anyway.

Now I have to buy more and the same bulbs are around £2.50 each.

Is there a good place somewhere to buy them in bulk at a decent price?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Cynic mode on -

A few years ago, they were cheaper in order to tempt people away from cheap incandescent bulbs, now incandescent bulbs are no longer on sale, the price has gone up...

Just wish LED bulbs would drop in price a bit...

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Which is great if you have spotlights/that fitting... but if you want 'bog standard lightbulb' type fitting [bayonet fitting in the case of my gaf], you're looking at ~£6 [€8] per bulb

Yes you can probably get them cheaper, and the price has dropped [just about halved] since I last checked, but they're still a fair hike over the fluorescent bulbs...

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ah, but you won't have to change them for 25 years.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Yeah, that's what they said of the enregy saver bulbs as well, and look how often they go poof.

That said, I've put them (LED's) around the new house, the only incandescant one left is in the wall closet :D

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Damn I need bayonet.

I counted the light bulbs in the house today and we have 21 in total (not including bedside lamps) so if I wanted to change the lot to LED (which I do) it would cost in excess of 100 quid.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm guessing they cost more because people don't change them as regularly, so the company bosses have to put their prices up to maintain their lavish lifestyles ;-)

It's a supply and demand thing: Most people used to replace light bulbs every year or so; now people only replace them every few years because of their longevity. Demand goes down for new bulbs, which means that the price goes up.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I'd thought that's what it would be but the ones I have don't really last any longer than standard bulbs even though they come with a 6 year warranty, I don't keep receipts for things like that and would probably cost me more in postage to get them replaced anyway.

Looks like I'm going to have to replace them bit by bit.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I get mine from an e-shop on the big river. LED Hut or something like that. Bulbs are high quality LED units with very good lumens ratings and they're brighter and produce a wider cone of light than the halogen equivalents.

Over the last 6 months, the difference in our electricity bill is noticeable since I live with a woman who hasn't figured out that lights also have an off switch...

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

In the early days of energy saving bulbs (CFL) the cost were lower because the cost of the raw materials were lower (CFL contain small quantities of expensive rare earth elements), as demands rose so did the cost of the raw materials.

That's not to say manufactures didn't raise costs above and beyond the increases in the raw materials, it's just that as China has a near monopoly on phosphors and decided to limit exports to protect their diminishing reserves most of the increased costs come from further down (or up) the supply chain.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

I can tell you one thing the marketing guru's won't tell you, incandescant light bulbs didn't blow out once a year automatically.
    Most had an incredible lifespan.
    The CFL-lights, with built in electronics and a mercury problem were a step in the wrong direction from the beginning.

LED's however are starting to deliver what the energy-savers promised, they're the big step up.
    Now the ones with proper colour temperatures have to come down in price a bit.

14. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

The reason the CCFL lamps used to be cheaper is because they were subsidised (by the EU I seem to remember) for a certain amount of time to speed their introduction and help replace filament types. This ran out a couple of years ago so now they are back to a normal market price. The jump was quite a lot, but now they are coming down again to a reasonable level (IMHO).

LEDs are also coming down to a reasonable level now.

15. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

he IKEA ones linked above are a glorious colour temperature. really natural-looking light.
    Only 4.5W, too!

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A friend of mine bought enough to re-light his house (and a few spares) from China (on the bay) for around £1/bulb.

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Perhaps you're looking at this the wrong way?

You can either think of the money you have saved buy bulk buying, all those years ago; or, accept that they were cheap because they were poor quality and ones you'll get now are likely to last much longer, and prove to be better value than you first thought.

Every cloud and has clichéd lining an all that...

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Once they get this "nuclear power" thing up and running we'll have an abundance of cheap, clean energy and we can go back to using filament bulbs.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nuclear power isn't clean energy, it's dirty energy on the never never.

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It isn't dirty, just misunderstood.