1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8800GS stuck at 640 x 480 - help!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by HoistaWheelie, 1 Jun 2009.

1. HoistaWheelie

HoistaWheelie Slow but steady

Hi, just built my first dedicated folding rig in an Asus barebones s775 system with a dual core celeron, 2Gb RAM, 80Gb hard drive and WinXP 32-bit.

The majority of the folding is done on the 8800GS, trouble is even though the latest nVIDIA drivers are downloaded and installed, the .inf for the monitor is installed, nTune is installed .... the system refuses to display at anything other than 640 x 480.

Have used nVIDIA contro panel and windows to select 1680 x 1050 (default res) which it lets me so, but then image stays at 640 x 480.

Have tried using 'update driver' to point to the correct driver, it then installs, after reboot back at 640 x 480.

Talk about frustrating!

Folding unaffected by this luckily, but it's driving me spare. Never had this issue before - any ideas?

Cheers

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Never seen this before, and if I had my first thought would be dodgy driver remnants, and my second would be dodgy card.

Try driver sweeping the HDD to remove all remnants of the current nvidia driver, then reinstall the 185.85 version (what I'm currently folding on) of the nvidia drivers and also nTune and nvidia control panel, then set the screen res in windows display properties.

Hope you get it sorted!

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If it's a dedicated rig & it's folding then leave the resolution low.
    I'm sure I get slightly better ppd on my rigs with lower screen res (less memory being used for nothing)

4. HoistaWheelie

HoistaWheelie Slow but steady

Converter

Hmmm, plugged it into a different monitor using the DVI connection rather than a DVI-VGA converter I had been using on old monitor and hey presto 1680 x 1050 resolution!

Weird :eyebrow: