1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Corsair unleashes a rather good sub £40 enthusiast case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 11 Apr 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I know it's been said before, and your reasons for not doing so are well documented, but would it really be that hard just to find a generic 120mm fan just to show how much the case can be improved from stock for a couple of quid extra?

This looks like a great budget choice, and would likely perform infinitely better with either one additional fan, or as you allude to removing the intake and using it as an exhaust... about a minute's work.

I'm sure it was an article on bit or maybe in CPC not that many years ago which proved that one exhaust is far more effective than even several intakes, as it creates negative pressure in the rest of the case forcing it to pull in cold air through any orifice. Whereas an intake will create positive pressure, and the air will try to escape from the nearest orifice, meaning that a proportion of the cold, fresh air will be exhausted before it even meets a component.

3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

The trouble is that if we do it for one then it's unfair not to do it for the others - almost every case can have its cooling improved by adding more fans, and it introduces a lot of variables too. Perhaps we could do it in special instances such as this one, where cooling is a letdown in an otherwise good case and there appears to be an easy fix? I'm not sure. That said, as we move into the post-Dennis era there's a lot of re-evaluation going on about our test gear and methods, so it may be something we can include in the future - we'll certainly keep it in mind :)

4. Dogbert666

Also, you may be thinking of this article? http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-cooling-investigation/1

The benefit of having data such as that, as well as data from other cases with good exhaust set-ups, for example, is that it lends weight to our arguments that adding a fan/moving the existing one here to the exhaust position would be very beneficial, without us having to actually run an extra test. Of course, no case is the same, and there are always going to be additional variables, but we don't say such things based on guess work.

5. Shirty

I think if a case only includes a single intake fan then it's at least worth moving it to the exhaust mount to see if that helps, would you agree?

I'm totally with you on the aspect of fairness, but the fan is a modular part of the case so you could argue that moving it is akin to removing a drive cage or similar.

And yes, that was the article - a very good article it was too :)

6. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i would personally love to see all cases tested with all their fan slots filled with decent but generic fans ( sickleflows for instance ) to show the POTENTIAL cooling of the case as well

you take all the time to install the hardware and test, how hard would a set of fans be to install ? granted it would take another set of testing, but how many of us really buy these cases then leave them stock ?

although saying that i do understand the reasons to test the out of box performance first and foremost. However especially at this end of the market, there is alot of potential that you fail to show

7. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Good fans cost money - you take a cheap case with 1x120mm fan, you add 2-3 other 120mm fans and price wise you're into better cases with more features, or worse, more included fans!

8. Shirty

Very true, but a single intake fan is substantially inferior to a single exhaust - and both configurations are options on this case without spending a penny extra ;)

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I would expect at least a standard setup be used for each case which would mean it should at least have 1 intake and 1 exhaust even if they need to be added. Can always be reflected in the price.

Also it's not a bad case even though it has banes breathing apparatus stuck to the front :)

10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Is BT going to review the NZXT 440 any time soon?

11. Dogbert666

We have requested it a lot. We really want to but stock seems to be an issue. I'll chase again.

12. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

+1

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Hmm, looks like a tarted up Inwin Mana 137.

YEHBABY likes this.
Tags: Add Tags