1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Mannequin

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by LordDeTracy, 17 Apr 2017.

1. LordDeTracy

LordDeTracy What's a Dremel?

Hello all,
    Long time lurker, first time poster and my first Project Log. I apologize in advance of any screw ups. :D That being said, with this scratch project I want to turn this mannequin i have laying around into a computer. Since I am a poor b****d, I have no plans of buying any new parts. I will be putting my current gaming rig inside of it once i feel its completed (Ill list my rigs specs below) but untill then you will be seeing hardware thats very very old as a place setter/template.

I want to cut out areas of this mannequin and replace them with see-through acrylic and run alot of lighting through it. This will be a prototype for future projects.
    Thank you and be sure to give me your input since im a total newb.
    Final Hardware Specs (for now, and they are 3 years old)
    Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+
    Processor: AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7 GHz
    Graphics: ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X
    RAM: 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
    Harddrive: 2x Seagate Desktop HDD ST3000DM001 3TB 64MB
    Power: Rosewill LIGHTNING-800 - 800-Watt Modular
    Cooling:
    4 x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 Red LED
    1 x CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Apr 2017
  2. LordDeTracy

I began the cutting of the backside, the plan is to make it like a little hatch that i can open and close to access everything inside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that shes opened up, its gonna be a task and a half to make everything fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ill end up sanding the outside edges around the cut out to make it less jagged with a few body repairs.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Seriously... I have seen A LOT of junk in houses. I've never come across a mannequin. -Also, why are they always female? (Except that one TheGreatSatan used in a build, but he bought that.)
    If I were you, I'd SOOO wash that sucker down with bleach. The frat-boy that stole that from a department store must have been very lonely. :lol:

On the design-side, you should follow the human contours more closely when cutting, and possibly add some 'robotic' angling to the cuts.

4. LordDeTracy

Hehe, i have no idea why most mannequins are female. I actually came across this mannequin and a second one in a dumpster behind my work years ago. They were from a department store. I just reached in and pulled them out, gave them to my ex-gf to use for her clothing designs. After we broke up and she moved out...... i got stuck with the mannequins. Hehe