1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Best Gaming LCD tv 40"-42"

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by zamansf, 20 Aug 2009.

1. zamansf

zamansf What's a Dremel?

Hi to all Can any one recommend me what's the best gaming TV - particularly for Xbox 360 (I'm assuming the console doesn't really make a difference)

I'm looking for a 40"to 42" full HD LCD - price around £800. I need one for Gaming and for quality viewing with up-to-date technology that includes direct connection to my media files on my PC to the TV.
    I don't really mind Plasma. but the burn factor that puts me off. in long run as I have seen on others the burn stays on. Please people can someone help..
    I will be grateful for your help
    Thanks
    :wallbash:

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm not really a TV buff but I've heard that if you want an LCD then Sony or Samsung are the ones to go for

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

^what he said. I have a particular fondness for Sammy LCD TVs, got two and I loves 'em.

360's NXE did screw up a little with those two manufacturers on some models though as apparently the HDMI handshake isn't 100% (I dunno tbh I just read that on the official support forum threads), but all it's done with mine now (after the GPU fried gaaah) is remove the option for me to put the connection into GAME mode, which is just a setting that makes games look fancy. There's a MOVIE mode too which is nice. Mine is now quite old though so this could all be sorted for newer models. You won't be disappointed anyhoo :)

4. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I have my 360 hooked to a series 4 Samaung 40", i think it is absolutley flawless

6. zamansf

zamansf What's a Dremel?

What about the "Lag time" and the Processing time I keep hearing? I like my xbox games and need something that wont let me down and also will give me a very good picture quality when watching normal TV. With Plasma I just don't like the thought of the screen Burn.
    Thanks

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Screen burn isn't much of an issue in modern plasmas unless you leave a static image for a long long time. My PX80 has never had any problems with burn after long gaming sessions with static huds.

8. zamansf

zamansf What's a Dremel?

I have had a look for the best TV with everything I want in terms of technology.. I really like the Samsung UE40B7020. I know its over the price limit but might go for it if you all think it will be the right TV for my Xbox.

9. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Input lag on a console, unless you are a complete videophile is irrelevant with most new LCD screens (if you look in the right price range, which you are doing). Sony definitely hold the torch though with the input lag if it really is an issue, Samsung are good all rounders. Don't get those silly thin screens though. Not as advertised. So expensive too. Grab yourself last years top of the range 40 incher and you'll be very pleased once you set it up right. It got loads of awesome reviews.

Keep away from LG unless your spending over £800.

10. zamansf

zamansf What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the input Will. The only reason I like the Samsung because of its look and the Samsung UE40B7020 features. It has media connection and Wifi and many more, The Rivew wasn't that good. What can I get with the same Features on other makes. Can I have the model name please?
    Thanks.

11. zamansf

zamansf What's a Dremel?

It all comes down to SONY KDL40W5500U in JL its called KDL40W5710 and Samsung UE40B7020. Which is the better Tv and for gaming???? Can someone tell me the difference?

12. will.

I'm sure you've found these already, but:

Sony review:
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W5500/

Samsung review:
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue40b7020-ue40b7000-20090502147.htm

In a toss up between the two, the sony does come out on top. It depends whether or not your going to notice the difference.

Sony definitely has the edge with gaming response time. But the Samsung; it's so purdy :p (Don't think you are actually buying an LED tv though, it's a lie. Just like the damn cake!)

I'd get the sony.

Oh, and don't forget to haggle. I got £500 off my tv only a few weeks ago. The highstreet shop price matched the internet and threw in delivery and 5yr warrenty. They are desperate. I'm talking small retailers by the way, not PC world or their ilk.

Could I just mention though, if your looking at spending a grand, you can get a mighty fine Panasonic 50" plasma for that money. I got the G10, and it's ****ing awesome.

13. zamansf

zamansf What's a Dremel?

I keep hearing about the G10 and V10.. another one G15. I wonder if there is v15??? I hear long time gaming can cause burn in some Plasma. When I game on xbox in the weekend, one night the game lasts for 6 hours or more, on top of that the day time use aswell. Consudring all these and I like the Idea of Wifi on TV and connecting to my PC harddrive.
    Which TV will last and not give me any problem? I don't know if the sony has the same fun features as samsung on connectivity.

14. will.

From what I have heard, these connectivity features are - at the moment anyway - simply another thing to put on the box. They struggle with anything that requires a codec to play. My Panny can play MKV's and that is a very rare ability I think.

With regards to burn in; this was an issue I was extremely wary about. However, burn in is actually very rare now. Most new sets don't have that issue. You may experience Image retention, but that is only temporary and lasts about 5 minutes at most and you only notice it on solid colour. For example, I was playing inFamous for about 6 hours last weekend. Then we watched the Dark Knight and the only times I noticed a bit of image retention was when there were black bars top and bottom in the non-IMAX scenes. I could just about make out the HUD in the top left corner, but I only spotted it because I was looking. No one else even noticed.

You should sign up on AV forums and get some of those uber nerds to give you some advice. Be warned though, you may come away extremely picky. :p

Oh, and one more thing. The Samsung's sound is dreadful! I wouldn't want to use it for anything other than idle tv watching. So tinny!

15. zamansf

zamansf What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your input. I might consider Sony. I am going to look into Sony first. Plasma the one I want by Panasonic is above 1k. The v10 I think, which is slim and quality TV. People have put me off Samsung now.. It looks good but might not be for quality gaming.

16. will.

Yea, the V10 and G10 are pretty similar. The V10 obviously wins, but for the price, the G10 is awesome. According to a lot of people though, I've been lucky not to get a faulty one. I think that's why they have been so cheap.

17. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

from what I've heard lcd is better suited for 32in and under while PDP(plasma) is better suited for 32in+

Last edited: 26 Aug 2009
  18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Samsung LCD .

Samsung have great customer service, i had a sound issue and they sent an engineer out at no cost to me to have a look at my TV in my home. Took them a few minutes to take it apart and find the problem.

Were as Dixons refused to do anything point blank and refused to believe it was broken.

Since then ive had no issues but feel safe that Samsung care and will do what they can if there is an issue, even if the retailer wont while in warrenty.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Samsungs are an excellent choice for LCDs. Not much to it though, as I'm more of a Plasma guy.

20. zamansf

zamansf What's a Dremel?

It all come down to SONY KDL40W5500U in JL its called KDL40W5710 and Samsung UE40B7020. Don't know which one to go for? for gaming....