1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Single LCD Inverter Board for Two Displays?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by unholythree, 7 Sep 2012.

1. unholythree

unholythree What's a Dremel?

I have a couple of old working Dell 17" LCD displays without cases that I would like to put into one thin case.

Each display would use it's own controller board for VGA/DVI input, but only one inverter would power both displays in order to reduce size and cord clutter.

Could a single inverter from one LCD power both displays, or would the power draw be too much?

2. Tealc

Tealc What's a Dremel?

It's really impossible to tell without knowing the specs of all the components and the power required by the backlight. Typically electronics engineers will put in components that are rated higher than is needed but it's not likely that it'll be more than double, or triple. Higher rated components cost more money than lower rated components and parts are usually kept to their minimum costs.

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

Agreed, you'll likely have to get a new inverter powerful enough to drive both backlights + ~10%. It's not unlikely that it'll work with either of the old ones, but for how long and when the inverter blows, what does it take with it?

The good news is that (depending on how old the displays are) a new inverter may be smaller and more efficient than either of the old ones resulting in a net win overall - except for the wallet.

4. unholythree

unholythree What's a Dremel?

Well I guess it's time to break out the old multi-meter and try to match up an inverter.

Dell's spec sheet for the 1707fp shows a big difference between the max 54.3w and typical 27.5w draw. I suspect the max is so high due to the 4 port powered usb hub and optional sound bar.

I guess a 100w inverter to play it safe?

5. Valor958

Valor958 What's a Dremel?

Well, if you don't plan on using the usb hub and sound, you could remove those to lower the total draw. Doing that from both may allow you to use the single inverter if it lowers the max enough.