1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Does lapping your CPU have benefits?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cus_de_Sparta65, 10 Nov 2010.

1. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

I have a C2Q6600 that I use in my test rig now and would like to lapp it to see if there are any real benefits in doing so! I also have a large Thermaltake copper CPU water block that might get some mobo time after a good lap.

Is it worth it?

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

my Q6600 was concave as hell, so yeah it helped drop my temps. I can't remember the amount it dropped but it was noticeable, we had a huge discussion about this about 2 years ago on here about it...

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It does work thats for sure, some times with better results than others. One thing I can't stress enough. You must not get any kind of bevel on the surfaces you are polishing or you'll do more harm than good.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've lapped virtually every CPU I've had, which to be fair isn't that many. The only one that benefited was a Q6600 with a concave IHS. That knocked around 10ºC off the load temps but none of the others have benefited to any measurable amount.

It's risky lapping some waterblocks as they are bowed by design. With the ones I have the bowing is created with the o ring so I have to remove the base to lap them. Again no measurable benefit.

The biggest temp drops I got was by using Cool Lab Liquid Pro instead of MX-2. It is a pain to remove although I've now found you don't actually have to remove every last trace.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Lapping your cooler has a greater effect, as they're rarely flat, but the CPU is worth doing.

I saw a massive decrease in temps when I lapped my cooler, but it had some major issues. See this thread for more details.

If you aren't concerned about warranties. Do it.

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

This is a modding site...Warranties are something other people worry about:rock:

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I can't agree more :)

8. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

Thanks guys, I am seriously thinking about giving it a try. It does not seem too difficult to do really. I watched a Youtube video by a guy called TJHarlow who makes lots of really good vids about PC's and stuff. Hid lapping guide is really good.

Is there a easy test to check if the CPU is concave apart from the obvious of using your eyes? LOL

9. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

In a word, 'Yes'.

Do however make note of the text on the CPU heatsink in the case of a retail boxed sample, as Intel will require this information in the case of a warranty claim.

I know the suggestion in the thread has been that Intel will not honour their warranty, but it is subjective - I have returned a lapped & heavily overclocked CPU previously (2 years use?) and been issued a replacement.

Whether this is normal policy, or whether my return was simply never checked, as it was an end-of-life product (a Pentium D, just after CD/C2D came out), or whether my issue corresponded to a known fault or something, I don't know - but just in case!

TSB

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well, it will be nice and shiny if nothing else.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

What do your finger-tips tell you? They are extremely sensitive. Other than combining your fingers info with ya eyes info..no I dunno.

12. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Ooops!

Also! It did reduce temps by quite a bit if I remember? Back in the days of my Arctic Freezer, perhaps?

Ah, how times have changed.

TSB

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

It depends.

I'd always try without lapping of any sort first, to check temperatures. If they're reasonable, I wouldn't bother.

On the other hand, if the CPU and cooler have a noticeable lack of a good fit, lapping will bring temperatures down a lot. I've lapped my CPU and cooler and the temps dropped 10C as well.

14. Spikey101

Spikey101 What's a Dremel?

Anyone wanna do a lapping 101 for someone who doesn't know what it is? ;)

Edit: Nevermind I stopped being lazy and did some reading!

15. Big Elf

To check for deformities on the IHS put a razor blade (edge on) on it and hold it up to the light. You can usually see if it's not flat.

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I'm tempted once i move to lap my Noctura Beast Machine, but then I need to go out and get more thermal paste... and... I'd have to stop gaming and... must +buzz+ must... lapp CPU...

It's always had a massive increase in my opinion, I've seen endless people do it and see massive temp drops.

17. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

So if I decided to lap my Thermalright AXP-140 (I read in reviews that it doesn't have a particularly low-tolerance design) where would I go about getting this super-awesome sandpaper to do the job with? Wicke's obviously don't do anything of that quality.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Halfords used to do a big pack of sandpaper that went down to 800 grit. Your local hardware shop should carry stuff that's nearly fine enough, and I'm sure a decent-sized B&Q would have a super fine grit somewhere.

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

When ever I do lapping I use wet / dry which I get from a car accessory shop you can get much finer grade than 800

20. Big Elf