1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC Gaming Alliance lashes out at Lucasarts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Hurm, well said PCGA O_O

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

So the PCGA will lash out at LucasArts, but not at Epic?

Hmmm.

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

screw the force unleashed, i doubt it'll even cross my mind whilst im playing fallout 3, farcry 2 and WAR online.

plenty of good titles for the pc lucasarts - you just carry on making kiddies toys for the konsolified masses

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I see a PC games market without LucasArts dross as a selling point not a hindrance.

"PC gaming, we have less Star Wars based crap than the others"

6. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

Hell Yeah, PCGA!!!!

How could leave us out in the Dark George?

WE (Pc gamers), started gamin for the Star Wars name!

Not the freaking Consoles!

Nobody even knew about Star Wars for the Atari. And further less for the Snes.
    It wasn't until x-wing for DOS and Mac's that it started booming for you guys.
    And this is how you pay us?!

7. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

I think he's got a very good point there. I haven't seen anything good come out of LucasArts in a long time!

Perhaps the real reason it didn't come to PC is because that would have made its mind-boggling mediocrity all too obvious...

8. Skepsis

Skepsis What's a Dremel?

It's just a shame it won't be on the PC. I was forced to go out and play it on the PSP as I don't own any other console, it's a great game and fits with the movies storyline rather well. If it was for piracy reasons but they were just saying it's graphical related to cover it then it's pretty dumb. Fallout 3 and Farcry 2 are both already leaked on the net for the XBOX 360 so people with "modded" 360's can download and play it. Farcry 2 also leaked for the PC but without any cracks to play it, can only play around with the editor which looks rather tempting, but will hold back till my pre-order arrives!

9. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

someone needs to remind Randy that the Wii version wasn't handled by LucasArts, it was done by Krome Studios, and so making a scalable version for the PC is indeed quite an extra load of work.
    also, i don't think the game would have played too well on PC either... 3rd person action/platform games generally don't

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Firstly, it's not that great a game so the PC gamers aren't missing out all that much. Secondly, I think it wouldn't work very well at all with a mouse and keyboard.

So the purpose of the PCGA is to bitch about other devs then?

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Perhaps if Lucasarts had come up with a better excuse than it wont runz on ur pcs then maybe people would have taken them at face value. Maybe they should have been more honest, We don't think it'll sell well on the PC for XYZ reasons so were not going to waste money developing it.

The keyboard reasoning is flawed since there are many games which are release which don't work well with the keyboard but still get a release (GTA, Lego SW etc.)

12. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

"Stude then finished by claiming that Lucasarts was no longer a real developer and that it existed only to farm out the rights to the Star Wars franchise - and even then it hadn't done that very well in a long while."

Hahahaha ultimate burn! Everyone knows it's true, hilarious to hear an official say it. It does strike me as odd to lash out at lucasarts rather than epic in my mind though, as epic have been much more public in their PC bashing.

It didn't bother me in the slightest that this game wasn't on PC. I thought it sounded like fun for a couple of hours, cause of the awesome physics engine, but not something to spend $100NZ on.

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Wing commander was waaaay better then X-wing or other sw crap :D
    You know.. the one with Mark Hamill and the evil Kilrathi race...

14. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

lucasarts is swimming in money and took a cheap shot at pc because it didn't have the ambition to port to the pc
    tbh I never had any interest in their gaming!

15. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

For every developer like lucasarts and Epic there's one like CDProjekt who makes it a goal to serve the PC community. Support those developers, and we can hopefully see more games geared toward the PC audience. Oh... and go buy The Witcher. You'll soon forget about that "KOTOR" game :)

16. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

On the plus side it is nice to have someone defending the PC sector. The reality is that is can be more expensive to develop for the PC but on the flip side, developers don't have to pay royalties for PC games which i'm sure can make a big difference on a game that sells well on the PC.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

While I agree with the comment that they're just whoring out the SW franchise and have lost all their originality, I don't think the other comments hold much water.

1) Why pick on Lucas Arts? As others have said, Epic are doing a lot of bitching about the PC and not bringing GoW2 to the PC, and they're even in the alliance
    2) It isn't viable to put on the PC. This is completely true. The problem with this game is the physics aren't just a little part of the game that makes it looks nice, it's integral to the gameplay, moreso than other games that use lots of physics like HL2. If you look at the Wii version and the 360/PS3 one. The Wii version is far inferior because of the reduced physics. They would have to port both versions of the game onto the PC to cater for high and low end gaming PCs. Also, it's not 1 game that has been ported around, it is 3 distinct versions, the handheld version, the Wii version and the 360/PS3 version
    3) 100 million high end PCs sold? If that were the problem then Epic wouldn't be constantly bitching about how the PC sucks and how they can't make any money on it. SW:FU would be very unlikely to make much money on the PC, there's just not enough people who would buy the game because it almost requires a control pad. LEGO SW worked quite well on the PC, because it was a pretty simple platformer, this game is definitely not simple in terms of controls.

18. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I read the first bit as Star Wars, But the second half automatically translated to something other than Force Unleashed

I do agree with you regarding the gamepad issue though Veles - some games, especially console ports like the Lego Games, almost require a gamepad to stop you breaking your fingers while trying to play it.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    From what I seen of SWFU, it is not much different than HL2 gravity gun. Pull, Push, blow-up...
    And that on an relatively old game engine adequate for a mid-lowish system.

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Now you mention it I think thats exactly why I fancied this game. Its just like an extension of the last level of hl2 but now with added light sabers!

Tags: Add Tags