1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Gaming Laptop - Budget £500, secondhand or new; what am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by llOriginll, 30 Dec 2012.

1. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Hey people,

Decided I need a gaming laptop to make LANs a little less painful and to be able to get some uni work done at uni :p

I really don't have a clue about laptops, nor what are good or respectable brands or if I should go new with my budget or maybe look at ebay or the marketplace.

I certainly don't have to spend the whole £500 if bang for buck comes in at a lower price bracket. It'll probably be mostly lower spec gaming (league, fps's with variable graphic settings etc) and some uni work which will be photoshop, word processing, maybe a little CAD or revvit potentially.

Any advice welcome, I am, literally clueless :p

Cheers!

2. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

3. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Yeah I just noticed the thread under mine! Sad thing is I even checked for similar threads but apparently not very well... Seems perfect really! Any other contributions/any saying on this laptop welcome.

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Not going to find better GPU at that price new. Acer is quite low quality wise make sure to take good care of it and buy yourself a neoprene case to protect it.

5. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I'd find the i5 version, seeing how it offers both hyperboost and hyperthreading. the i3 has neither. I reckon it'd be well worth the extra cost in newer AAA titles.

6. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

when buying used budget a new battery in the price if you want to use away from then plug.

8. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Always spend that little bit extra. Especially in this case, as it is a "gaming" laptop. You will not be able to upgrade the cpu further down the line as you would in a desktop. And seeing as everything is tied together in a laptop, if one component is too slow or outdated, everything becomes obsolete.

:)

9. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

im selling my Asus G73-JH with warranty very soon as its been sitting on my desk not used for almost 8 months since i bought a desktop.

i7 8 cores 1.6-2.8ghz (this laptop also has an overclocking button too)
    8gb DDR3 1333Mhz (it says on the asus site that its 1066, but mine is actually 1333)
    2x500gb 7200rpm HDD's
    17" 1080p screen
    1gb 5870 GPU
    backlit keyboard, Blu-Ray Drive, subwoofer, etc etc etc

http://uk.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G73Jh/

It has warranty until around april time which is transferrable (asus only ask you for the serial on the bottom to match to the ASUS VIP DB when doing a RMA). drop me a PM if interested