1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips ND filters question

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by phinix, 23 Jun 2014.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I never used ND filters and decided to try out to see what can I do with them.
    I have a general knowledge about them, understand what they do etc but I'm total noob in photography so wanted to ask you guys for help.
    I'm going on holidays and wanted to try do some nice sea photos with longer exp water effects or try out some landscapes photos with ND filters.
    I don't want to spend £££ for it just now, so thought I could get a cheap one first to get used to it. I found some VND and thought it could be good for beginner.
    It's ND2-400. Also, I will be using on camera flash (E-M10), I guess it makes a difference too, don't know what is sync value for it...
    Would I be able to do some decent water effects, maybe some nice portraits with darker background using internal flash and that filter?
    Thanks in advance for your response.

2. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

As you probably know you can pay a lot for ND filters, I've used cheap ND filters in a Coken type filter holder and when I stacked a few of them it gave the image an orange/brown colour cast but they were usable individually, I've not tried the round variable type.

Easier to check out some of these vids on utube than me ramble about using them :D

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Why didnt I think of youtube..:wallbash:
    Thanks, I'll look at those tutorials:thumb: