1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Battlefield 4 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 11 Nov 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Haven't played the SP yet so can't comment, but I thought the MP review was fair and accurate on the whole.

I didn't experience this myself, but then I've only been using one class and following a specific strategy for a fast rank up. Maybe this explains why I seem to be the 'quickest on the draw' coming round corners.

Also, I think 75% is too low, maybe the SP aspect is effecting the rating, if so, maybe the calculation needs to be tweaked as this is largely a MP game where the SP is seen almost as bonus content by gamers.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

75% is too high from what ive played. Game is so broken at the moment. Hugely disapointed.

Ment to be patch this week that resolves some of the issues.

4. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Perfectly contrasting comments there. Pretty much sums up the difficulty of reviewing and, in particular, scoring a game like this.

5. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

All through the last 3 months or so, all the chatter has been around Ghosts and BF4, looks like more of the same, so slightly different to the last games, which I guess if you like them, you will like this.

The underlying message is unless there's revolutionary change there's a good chance each franchise has peaked.

Once I've purchased the game, I refrain from buying DLC, because I still believe in content patches being free or needing a much bigger value pack than those currently on offer...last DLC I ever brought was for MW2 on xbox.

6. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Yep, I don't envy this aspect of your job :D

7. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

and not commenting once on the problems at launch, such as all the bugs, glitches and crashes.

BF4 is quite a bit different to BF3, for so many reasons more than levolution, if you liked BF3 you'll love BF4 (when it actually works).

8. rollo

rollo Modder

BF4 could be a great game problem is currently its super broken for most people. Could not care for either bf4 or ghosts single player though.

9. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

I don't think it super broken for most people ...more like a tiny albiet vocal minority, who may or may not have major issues that are actually EA's fault.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I've been banging this particular drum for a while, but I think you should be brave and ditch the scores entirely. I'd be interested to hear what you think a percentage score adds to the reviews, or your thoughts on whether you can reduce a subjective medium like computer games down to a quasi-objective score. If I watch a film review on TV, for example, I don't expect the film critic to conclude their review with a score out of 100 - I'd instead expect them to provide their opinion of the good and bad points of the film in their narrative, and let that stand on it's own without an arbitrary "score".

11. DarkHarlequin

DarkHarlequin Padowan Learner

It's pretty borked for everyone I've been online with so far- although perfectly playable and enjoyable! Rushed beta test to beat COD to market = regular game-related server crashes, a couple of annoying glitches and the netcode in the MP is, er, sporadic to put it mildly.

Does look badass though, hit recognition improved markedly one you up networking smoothing and DICE are being quite communicative about addressing concerns and getting stuff that they freely admit is broken patched quickly.

12. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Agreed, so not "super broken" then.

13. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Kotaku seemed to have nailed it, with a should you play it: yes/no.

Then they're also honest about how much time they've spent with a game in SP/MP modes with a game time counter.

So BF4 should be: Play it for multiplayer, not for singleplayer. (although you shuold play SP, because it's short and not all that bad and you get an M249 for MP at the end!)

14. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

It's a pretty subjective term.

15. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The game has issues...no doubt about it. It's infuriating when a server crashes (which they do, a lot) and you lose up to an hour or point-scoring and unlocks.

However...75% for what is arguably the best shooter ever made (in my opinion) - too low.

Especially when Proteus just got 90% "Bit gamer premium grade" on the same day.

Please, either provide classifications to compartmentalise your scores relative to cost, or ditch the score altogether.

Because Proteus simply isn't "better" than BF4, which is how it current sits, if they're being considered in the same league.

16. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

These days all EA games need to be considered on a "once they've sorted out all the launch issues" which is just disappointing.

17. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

I don't think it is actually, the common understanding of "super broken" is not that controversial ..certainly doesn't mean "perfectly playable and enjoyable" ..quite the opposite.

18. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Once they've sorted them? I'd say if, and it's a big IF too :D. BF2 and BF3 were plagued with issues- BF2 much more so, but Dice kept promising fixes and never delivered. I hope to be proved wrong but a complete fix looks unlikely based on previous experience.

19. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

I predict all the "major" bugs will be ironed out over the next 1-3 weeks & we'll have an optimised game by xmas.

20. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Where optimised = release quality *sigh*

Tags: Add Tags