1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Buying laptop in US - AC power adapter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JonDixon, 30 Sep 2008.

1. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Hi,

I am looking at getting a gateway 7811FX laptop from the US as I have a relative who can pick one up for me. In terms of the ac power adapter it has a 3 pin cloverleaf plug.

If I was to replace the US cable with one from the UK would the ac adapter be okay or would I have to use a US-UK travel adapter or something?

Advice appreciated

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Most laptop power bricks I've seen (in the UK, mind you) lately are 100-230V, so will work on both sides of the pond. I expect it's to save having to make 2 different power bricks.
    It all depends what the label on the adaptor says. if it's 100-230V, you're in the clear, I would have thought.

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

ajayrana, don't hijjack threads....

And (not sure mind you) I believe that you may be able to get the proper plug end for the brick from gateway (as long as the voltage is correct).

4. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Yup, the laptop-brick bit is normally separate from the brick-wall cable, which is sort-of kettle lead shaped but rounded instead of straight edges. These can be swapped to one for the UK :)

5. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

I thought that was the case. Probably wont be able to get the cable from gateway as they dont supply this particular model to the UK, I will check the voltage when it finally gets to me.

Seems such a good deal to pass up, now what else do I want from bestbuy

6. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Bricks in North America are always 110/220V 50Hz/60Hz auto-switching. You just need the US -> UK plug converter which you can buy for like $3-4 and you're all set. That's all I take with my Acer when I travel to Europe and back.