1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What will you put up with for a good storyline?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cutter McJ1b, 28 Jan 2010.

1. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

2. Manu_Otaku

Manu_Otaku ManuOtaku

I loved both games story and gameplay wise, i like it a lot VATS on fallout 3, and in mass effect i didnt mind the mako sections that so many people did complain about it, and the shooting i like it, it was slow and with a few problems but i did like it overall,it had a great RPG touch in the shotting deparment with a lot of micromanagment, i think i dont going to love the new mass effect for this reasons, based on the reviews i had seen so far, i think is more userfriendly and they throw away the RPG mechanics, now it emphasizes in the shotting elements rather than the RPG, and the mako is gone, damn.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Mass Effect is clunky at first, but you get used to it quickly.

Mark, as I said, if Fallout 3 isn't fitting then just go to STALKER instead.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'm having the same issue with Fallout 3, all I find myself doing is VATS and it really naffs me off because I can't hit crap without it, the aiming on it just feels wierd and slow, nothing comparing to FPS's like L4D or MW2, so I go through the entire game having a click fest of nothingness. It makes me really bored so I try to use melee weapons whenever possible, because then it's actually fun to a certain extent. More like oblivion with melee weapons but then you are screwed when everyone has guns *sigh*

5. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

It's interesting becuase I was thinking about this the other day. I recently bought Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on Steam for about £1.50 or something. I had acquired it ages ago based on a friends recommendation but could not get into it, I thought it was utter crap if I'm honest, so I unistalled it. Then, after Mass Effect, I realised there are some games out there which aren't purely about combat. It felt like I finally "got" what Bioware was about lol. Also, maybe I had matured a little since I first tried KOTOR.
    So I decided to give it another go, and now I'm actually quite enjoying it! I do still think the combat is pants in KOTOR, but as you mentioned in your blog, I put up with it because I'm immersed in the world, storyline and with the characters.

I havn't tried Fallout 3 yet, but I know what you mean about Mass Effect. As Joe said though, you get used to it. I actually like to play Mass Effect on easy, so the combat is just a non-issue element of the game that crops up from time to time, and kind of acts as an interlude from all the dialogue.

6. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

:)

It's probably blasphemous to say it, but I found both Mass Effect and Fallout 3 much less frustrating on the PS3 and Xbox 360, respectively, than on the PC. The control schemes for both just result in a hamstrung feeling on the PC; whereas on console they feel 'right' and as such you can enjoy the story more.

7. Cutter McJ1b

Thanks for the reply storm20200, glad it's not just me. It really does feel crappy compared with proper FPS shooters.

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Not many games combine the two very well..

I would rather go for pure gameplay games (Armagetron) or games with heavy emphasis on story (most Final Fantasy) than a poor mishmash, but a balance can be achieved.

Haven't played FO3, but Mass Effect was decent.. Story was average, gameplay was average. It had shiny graphics, but wasn't as good as KOTOR.

KOTOR, Deus Ex, Diablo II are games that combine the two the best I think.

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I could not get into Fallout 3 (x360 version) at all. I've just bought Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for the princly sum of 45p from PC world as I've heard they're better, I have't installed yet though.

Mass Effect on the 360 I found really enjoyable (I mainly used the sniper rifle which (once leveled up) made the combat a lot easier) - I think it's more suited to a Joypad than Keyboard and mouse.

10. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'll happily put up with Far Cry/KOTOR era graphics if it means good game play and good characters. Top end graphics are a bonus.

11. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

you lot with a laggy mouse haven't got vsync on have you? i never remember it being laggy in fallout3...

12. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

When I played ME1 my machine wasn't really up to the task so I got horrible frame rates during action scenes. I then saw the shooting sequences as things that needed to be done to get to the real game, which was the dialogue.

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

No vsync for me, Never turn it on unless there's an option for triple buffering, I find my screen doesn't tear with it off anyway so I don't care.

14. Cutter McJ1b

I always use vsync. I hate tearing almost as much as jaggies...

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I would never play a bad game for story. Ever. Gameplay is first and foremost in my eyes. If a game is fun, that is all that is needed. Make the gameplay immersive (amazing graphics, sound effects and style), and I will enjoy it even more. Story probably comes last in importance, but without a doubt, an amazing story can make a great game excellent. Mass Effect for example.

Obviously, there are limits; a ridiculously fun game that looks ****, I am unlikely to play. Basically, I shouldn't have to put up with anything excessive. Bad story? No difference, since I play for the gameplay. I could even put up with an exceptionally bad story. But sounds, graphics and content etc, should all be of a certain quality at least, otherwise it's a no-go.

16. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

turn it off and your mouse lag will be cured... but you will get tearing. so either get a 120hz monitor to kill it more of the time... or turn the settings up higher to get ur frame rate down below 60. or leave it on and keep the lag :/

17. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

fallout 2 rocked i still play that. I think a RPG should be a RPG and a FPS the same as they try to mix the two they both loose what they really are

18. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

No specs of this "new gaming rig" yours?

I am dissapoint.

19. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

+1 You selfish nerd =P

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

don't play dragon age then.. I think half the game is voice acting- but when you get the gay dwarf at the brothel, you kinda go ok.. least they have a sense of humor.. really liked fallout and mass effect- kinda blown away by mass effect really but played it on a crt in grain.. looks like a movie

Tags: Add Tags