1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The build that better get completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by xxh1tm4nxx, 25 Aug 2012.

1. xxh1tm4nxx

xxh1tm4nxx What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, been a long ass time since i posted on here with a build log. Well better late than never right? So lets get started.

For reference, here are links of my previous build logs on another forum

http://www.overclock.net/t/983128/project-iamextreme-sr-2-build

http://www.overclock.net/t/776531/project-pcxtremists-tj-07-build

This is the main thing...its gonna be used for all the time consuming, processor crunching, gpu intensive excel calculations that i do:p (excel is quite a resource heavy program you know:p)

Anyways, I present to you....the build that FINALLY will get completed without any issues (i hope) or rather i should say....the build that better get completed without any issues.

Spec sheet as always:
    Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K (arrived)
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 1600Mhz CL9 (carried over from the SR-2 Build)
    Motherboard: ASRock z77 OC Formula (have yet to order)
    Graphic Card: ASUS GTX 690 (Already own)
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Tough Power 1500W (way overkill i know but im not in the mood to buy a new psu right now)
    Casing: Silverstone TJ-07 (Already Own)
    HDD: 128GB OCZ Octane as Boot Drive + 3 x 256GB OCZ Vertex II SSD's (carried over from SR-2) + 1TB WD Green for content. (Already Own)

Im not a fan of air cooling so water cooling specs are:

CPU Block: EK Supreme HF Water Block (carried over from the SR-2 Build)
    RAM Block: Bitspower Universal Ram Block for 4 Dimms
    Pump: Swiftech MCP-655 (carried over from the SR-2 Build)
    GPU Block: EK FC-690 CSQ Full Cover Nickel+Acrylic Block, with GTX 690 Backplate
    Radiator: XSPC RX480 (carried over from the SR-2 Build)
    Reservoir: EK Multi Option RES 250 (carried over from the SR-2 Build)
    Fittings: Bitspower Compression fittings as always (carried over from the SR-2 Build)
    Coolant: Mayhems Pastel Sunset Yellow (the best bit)
    Tubing: Danger Den Clear Tubing

The build is gonna be in black and yellow, the casing is with a friend of mine since a month and a half now (ive been planning this build for almost 2 months) and hes done some interesting work on it (different than what you've seen before hopefully). Ill share some ideas in coming days of what ive planned to get done on the casing. Motherboard is most probably arriving in September, water cooling has been ordered and its been shipped today so that will come by a week or two as well and i got the processor today so majority of the stuff has been sorted out.

But of course a build log is not interesting without any pictures in the first post, so here's a slight teaser. There are still some finishing touches that need to be done on this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the Gelid Fans that i used in my second last TJ-07 Build which looked like this

[​IMG]

Since these come in blue and blades are UV reactive, and also the fact that yellow fans are a pain in the ass to find, i got them painted. As i said that the they still needs some finishing touches but overall i really like the look especially when they're spinning. I have black and yellow coloured MDPC sleeving from before, so i wont have to wait for that, but i wont be sleeving the psu wires. I have ordered the bitfenix extension cables which will be sleeved and used instead and of course it will be heatshink less sleeving as im currently doing in my server build which is turning out to be like this:

[​IMG]

I guess thats about it, so let the comments and questions roll in. Thanks for watching:)

2. xxh1tm4nxx

After a long time i present to you some pics of the things that have arrived. The whole build is delayed because of the motherboard which should be arriving soon....so when that comes in....updates would be more frequent.

In the mean time performance pcs and stuff from MDPC arrived.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im really glad on how the coolant colour matches exactly to the colour of MDPC Sleeving. Coolant is Mayhems Sunset Yellow BTW

3. xxh1tm4nxx

Something else also arrived but i couldnt work on it yesterday...so here we go:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

I'll be watching.

5. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

man! 8MP pic of fan? and ONLY 0.7MP pic of that beauty tj-07? not good IMHO
    i'll watch further...

6. xxh1tm4nxx

Small update for today....slowly but surely getting there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and so the 24 pin connector got completed. I managed to damage one of the pins on a wire so had to re crimp it before carrying on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took me over 20+ pics to make the yellow colour show properly in here, its dark now and its proving really hard to take pics at this time so ill post better pics tomorrow during daylight:)

Last edited: 25 Sep 2012
  7. xxh1tm4nxx

Here are better pics as promised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. AciD_RaiN

AciD_RaiN What's a Dremel?

Ok your sleeving is amazing. So many modders that are brilliant but not their sleeving and this is starting to look really sexy :)

9. xxh1tm4nxx

thanks acid:)

10. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

I was curious about what you did to hide your heat shrink. Or did you not use any?

11. xxh1tm4nxx

this method is basically heatshink-less sleeving. you do use heatshrinks but only to melt the sleeve on the pin....after its melt, you take the heatshink off and the sleeve slides in the connector without any issue. Theres a guy over at ocn with a really good and easy guide....thats how i learnt doing this....his nick is lutr0o

12. xxh1tm4nxx

There was no electricity at the office today so i thought hey!!...why not sleeve!!!...so the cpu 8 pin power connector got the treatment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. xxh1tm4nxx

And so the sleeving got done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motherboard will be arriving tomorrow then we'll get to see some pics with stuff installed:)

14. xxh1tm4nxx

Time for a little update...the motherboard arrived a few days back but my son got sick and i got busy with him so couldnt post an update. now that he's better its time to get to work again:)

I was in a mood to take some pictures today so this is what came out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yes i know that last wire is a little bent....i just havent had the time to fix it. but it will be fixed when id be assembling the rig.

And then the t-rex from toy story got curious about what i was doing so he decided to step in

[​IMG]

He got on the fan to check its build quality

[​IMG]

And then he climbed up on the card but he realised he's scared of heights

[​IMG]

And finally a shot to see how the card looks with the backplate on

[​IMG]

and finally...finally the 690 is under water now. Took me an hour to get what was a simple block installation done. EK didnt provide enough thermal pads or screws to mount the block on the pcb. In total they shouldve provided 19 screws but i got only 12-13. It was a good thing that i was gonna put the back plate on so i filled the remaining holes with back plate screws. But still....if i had not got the back plate, i wouldve had some empty screw holes and a lot of doubt if the block was having a good enough contact with the chips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fans with their final finish:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and for the first time ever, casing shots. Its a work in progress (obviously)

[​IMG]

the yellow acrylic will be painted black, i chose yellow acrylic for a reason which is wayyyy too good to reveal right now::D

[​IMG]

The 690 all stripped out before it got the block slapped on. Pics were taken via my iphone hence the quality

Water blocks galore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally a slight teaser of things to come:D

[​IMG]

15. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Oh hell yeah
    I am fully enjoying this coming together

16. Telefonskaft

Telefonskaft What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Damn that looks good! :D

17. whyte

whyte What's a Dremel?

I have a guess about that yellow acrylic and I sure hope I am right! Subbed.

18. xxh1tm4nxx

time for a small update. We had some holidays here so the friend of mine whos doing all the mod work really got a couple o things done. A slight teaser...proper pics will follow on later

[​IMG]

19. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

Ah I watched his sleeving vids, really helped me out, I used heat shrink but looking at you cables I regret it ...they look fantastic!
    Yellow n black looks really good, I think everyone has a soft spot for them but its never done

Is the acrylic bent or bonded together, look amazingly neat for bends

20. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

awww i thought it was going to be the other way around with that acrylic, still it all looks fantastic.... you would think considering how much a 690 block is they'd check how many screws they put in wouldn't you