1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V PC speakers around £150

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B-Cool, 10 Apr 2014.

1. B-Cool

B-Cool What's a Dremel?

Having recently bought my first decent pair of headphones (a pair Logitech UE6000s), I've decided that it's time to upgrade from the £20 Logitech 2.1 system I've been using for the past few years. I listen to a lot of hiphop and other bass-heavy music and I don't really have the space for bookshelf speakers (the satellites on my current setup are placed behind dual monitors which take up the entire width of my desk) so I was looking at getting another 2.1 system to replace my current ones. I also watch movies and game so bass is something I can't do without. Budget is £150 and I really don't want to spend any more than that.

I've looked at the Harman Kardon Soundsticks but I find the design to be ugly and I'm not convinced by the downward-facing sub. I'm leaning towards getting a a Klipsch 2.1 set for about £140 but I wondering if there's anything else out there that could do the job for less money. Any advice?

2. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Do away with the 0.1, get a full on 2.0 set. bigger drivers = bigger, better sound.
    They do not lack in bass at all. you will not miss the sub. A lot more input options as well.

Microlab SOLO9C
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/micr...kers-wooden-finish-with-remote-rms-toslink-co

Review of the lower end model:

Dont let audiophiles see you say that lol.

Corsair SP2500 in all honestly are like portable laptop speakers with a sub.
    3" drivers cannot deliver a decent sound stage.

Last edited: 10 Apr 2014
  4. B-Cool

B-Cool What's a Dremel?

As much as I'd love a proper set of bookshelf speakers, I haven't got anywhere to put them. I've put a picture of my desk below for reference, with my current sub just out-of-frame on the left.

[​IMG]

5. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

I agree with Otis, but honestly I've not had the desk space since I got married!

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Canon SV-15a's. If you can still find any.

7. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Fantastic speakers....A real favourite of the pub trade too. just find the pub nearest to you that shut down recently (they all have nowadays) and raid it ;)

8. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Use headphones, put money saved towards an amp / dac!